Would this MacBook run SL?

shaneethepain

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4441 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Currently looking at getting another computer. I'm a pc guy no doubt but I would like to get a grip on playing with a mac. My budget is about $300/50 and i already know for that price I can build a completely new pc rig thats meant for gaming. I would just like to have something where ever I go. 

All I am asking is if this laptop will RUN second life at a decent handling speed. I have read several different things over the internet about macs freezing up and others having no problems at all and works great but everything is dated back to 2007. Anyone with a macbook or another mac laptop under ($350) running second life?

Product Information
This is a customized product of Apple Laptop MacBook 13.3" (May, 2009)

Product Identifiers
ManufacturerApple
Product FamilyMacBook
Model IDMacBook5,2
Model NumberA1181
MPNAppleMacBook13.3May2009

Processor
Number of CoresDual-Core

Motherboard
Bus Speed1066 MHz

Display
Screen Size13.3"
Display Max. Resolution1280 x 800

Technical Features
Security FeaturesKensington Lock Slot
Expansion Ports2 x USB 2.0, DVI (Digital Video Interface), FireWire 400, Mini-DVI, RJ-45 (NIC), VGA out
Special FeaturesIntegrated Video Camera, MagSafe Power Adapter Port

Hard Drive
Hard Drive Rotation Speed5400 RPM
Storage Controller TypeSerial ATA

Memory
RAM TechnologyDDR2 SDRAM
Max Supported RAM4 GB
RAM Speed800 MHz
Installed Cache Memory3072 KB

CD / DVD
Optical Drive Read Speed24x (CD), 6x (DVD+R DL), 6x (DVD-R DL), 8x (DVD+R), 8x (DVD-R)
Optical Drive Write Speed24x (CD), 4x (DVD+R Dual Layer), 4x (DVD-R Dual Layer), 8x (DVD+R), 8x (DVD-R)
Optical Drive ReWrite Speed10x (CD-RW), 4x (DVD+RW), 4x (DVD-RW)

Video
Installed Video Memory256 MB

Audio
Audio Output TypeHeadphones, Line Out, Optical Digital, Speaker(s)
Audio Input TypeIntegrated Microphone, Line In (3.5mm), Optical Digital In

Networking
Networking TypeBluetooth, Integrated Wireless LAN, Network Adapter
Data Link ProtocolAirPort Extreme, Bluetooth, Gigabit Ethernet, IEEE 802.11a, IEEE 802.11b, IEEE 802.11g, IEEE 802.11n

Battery
Battery Run Time5 Hours
Battery TechnologyLithium polymer

Dimensions
Depth8.92 in.
Width12.78 in.
Weight5 lb.

Miscellaneous
Release DateMay, 2009
Input MethodKeyboard, TouchPad, Trackpad
Exterior ColorWhite

take a look at the system requirements page https://secondlife.com/my/support/system-requirements/index.php?lang=en-US i don't think your choice of Mac will even run SL you need OS X 10.5 or better your choice shows as 10.4 plus it only comes with 512mb ram and an intel graphics card neither of which are much good to run SL i don't use a Mac but know such little ram and intel graphics really struggle with SL. for your $350 you could get a new laptop running win7 with around 4gb ram and a decent ATI/AMD or nvidia graphics card that will handle SL a lot more smoothly 

From what I can see on the systems requirements page that machine fills the minimum requirements provided you upgrade Mac OS X to version 10.5. You will probably be frustrated by the systems performance and you would only be able to display basic graphics on that machine. It would most likely not be a good match.

Keep in mind that the specifications on that page are underspecced and outdated, even for the recommended section.

To have any kind of decent SL experierence you will want at least 4GB of ram and a mid-range (or better) gaming card.

Intel graphics is a big nono. The computer you listed is 6 years old and probably not worth spending money on unless you got it for free.

In 2006 that could run SL, really not nowadays... And if it does... at least half an hour or so will take to rezz textures, if not an hour, even at draw distance 64.

Huge nope ! It won't run SL at any reasonable speed.

The dual core doesn't seem to be the problem, but the graphics card is way outdated.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4441 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.