Reattaching body parts

friscolives

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4440 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I made a mistake in editing my avatar yesterday, opting to detach the skull when trying to remove the hair that came with my avatar. The mistake appears to have resolved itself when I applied the new hair, but I'm curious how to re-attach a body part--like the skull--after detaching it. I always see the detach option, just not a reattach.

Things that you attach to your avatar are put on certain "attachment points" that correspond to the parts of your body. Your hair was probably on the attachment point labeled "skull." If you saw a message saying "Detach" ---- "Skull" that was SL shorthand for "Detach the thing that was on the "Skull" attachment point." There isn't an actual removable body part on the standard avatar that is called the "skull."

What you did was detach your hair, which by default appears on the "skull" attachment point. For example, if you were wearing a ring on your hand and chose "detach ---- R. Hand" your right hand would not come off; the ring would. You can't detach normal body parts. You detach prims objects that are attached to those body parts, like hair and rings. (Prims are basic building blocks using in just about everything but skins and painted on clothes.)

The avatar may have been wearing an "alpha" which is sort of a cloak of invisibility for part of the body to prevent it from showing through an object attached to it. When you detached the hair you may have seen your bald head covered by an "alpha." Alphas are worn and can be detached like any other clothing and have icons that look like a white T-shirt with criss-cross lines through it.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4440 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.