how many alts can people have?

Meredyth Littlething

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4445 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

5 answers to this question

The correct answer is 5. 5 is what they block per email address.  After a non disclosed number knows as a "few", they reserve the right to charge you $9.95 per alt. 

(see:  http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Linden_Lab_Official:Alt_Account_FAQ

You can have more as scripted agents that you are supposed to register. 

You can get away with more by using alternate email address but as soon as you have a problem with one, they all will be affected as your IP address is associated with each one when you log in.  If you ever have an issue, you will have to provide your person information and the accounts associated with it.  You then loose all the alts except 5.  So the question is, why have more than 5?  I've been in game since 2006 and have two alts that I used for testing. 

I see absolutely no reason to have more than 5 much less 70.

• Like 2

AFAIK the TOS does not limit the number of accounts you can have.  If you read it there, post the paragraph number cause I just browsed through it and it only states "You may establish one or more additional Accounts, provided that your existing Account is in good standing and you are otherwise in full compliance with this Agreement."  

No mention of how many you can have.  There was a forum thread a long time ago where Torley Linden mentioned 5 accounts per household, but I haven't found it.  And I do believe that there is a limit to how many accounts you can have per email address.

--Cinn

Linden labs used to stipulate five accounts per person (long ago) and you were charged $9.95 to make them "legal". There were of course many "illegal" alts running around too. Then, if memory serves it became 5 per email and then 5 per IP (which really isn't all that fair if you have several folks in the same household --or business -- using the same connection).

Now, it seems that while five is the recommended number, you can have more as long you are good little boys or girls. The policy did for awhile state that if you needed more alts and could explain why, you could have more.

The bottom line is that the policy and the TOS change over time and sometimes rather quickly, so reading up is the only real way to know, or chatting with support possibly. I get the feeling that if you have one or more premium avatars then this issue isn't so much of a deal.

Edited for some really lousy grammar :D.

From https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Linden_Lab_Official:Alt_Account_FAQ:

Currently, you can create:

• Up to five accounts per household.
  • No more than two accounts in a single 24-hour period.

Alt accounts must adhere to all Second Life policies. For example, by agreeing to the Terms of Service (TOS) you agree to provide truthful and accurate information about yourself when you register for accounts; that includes not only your contact information and real name but also whether this is your first free basic account or a new alt (see TOS section 2.1). People who do not provide truthful information risk losing their accounts.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4445 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.