question ^_^

angelAmelia

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4541 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

4 answers to this question

Short answer: No, there isn't.

Longer answer:  Virtual land in SL represents resources on a server paid for by Linden Lab.  They must charge the people who use these servers.  Therefore, all land in SL carries a recurring cost.  It may be paid weekly or monthly.  It may pass through several hands before it gets to Linden Lab (you to your landlord to the estate owner to LL).  But it's always there, like property taxes in Real Life.

There are, or have been, some places provided for newcomers out of the goodness of some Resident's heart, places where, for example, people under 30 days old could stay for free, or for a very nominal fee.  But I haven't seen any of these lately.  Try Search.  Also, you may have a friend who has land and can spare some space and prims for you.

The third way to live rent-free is to squat.  Find some abandoned land that has rezzing enabled and autoreturn disabled, and just build your place there.  Understand...you have no right to do this, and the owner, or LL, can kick you off at any time.  The land may be sold to a new owner and HE can kick you off.  If you are squatting, you are living there illegally and have no grounds to complain, no matter what happens.

Me, I'd just pay for the Premium membership and get a Linden Home.

• Like 1

Nope.  You get what you pay for.  If you try to make a permanent home on someone else's land, you are using a resource that they paid for.  Sooner or later, you'll get booted off, and probably not politely.  That said, you don't really need a permanent home in SL.  For my first two years, I "lived" on top of a building on a friendly sim.  I set home there so that I had a regular place to log in, but I only rezzed things on group land where I had permission, and I cleaned up after myself before logging out each time.  If you can't afford to pay rent, you can't build a mansion and have beautiful gardens, but you can still do most of the other cool things in SL.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4541 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.