Happy Chinese New Year! (恭喜發財!)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4503 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

It is the year of the Dragon, what are you doing to celebrate? When I use to live in San Francisco we would go to China Town for the big celebration followed by dinner at one of the local restaurants there. This year I got this outfit and I am planning on going to my favorite Chinese Restaurant (MSG Free). Here are some links:

Chinese New Year

Chinese Calendar

Chinese Zodiac

ChinaNewYear.png

恭喜發財! Gung Hei Faat Choy!

It's year 4710, Year of Water Dragon! I recieved blessings from the local temple and prayed yesterday, and I just got done writing to friends in HK now. Other than making some tasty food, I don't think I will do much else.

I'm a bit broke until payday later in the week, so I don't think I'll wear Chinese clothes in SL. But everyone else's avatars are pretty! 

I've been celebrating it this whole weekend by stuffing my face with fabulous Vietnamese food from the festival down the street from my house.  I have spring rolls in my fridge as we speak.  I would have spent more time there Saturday if I hadn't been intent on going to Hippiestock.  Of course, I was already stuffed by the time I got there.... this weekend has been damn great.

...Dres

ETA: Next weekend there's another festival going on in New Orleans East... I'm going to that as well.  I'll have eaten so much Vietnamese food, that I'll be set until next year... lol.  Being able to eat a whole bunch of delicious stuff is the best part, if you ask me.

valerie Inshan wrote:

Happy Chinese New Year to you Keli! You look absolutely lovely! :smileyhappy:

The year of the Dragon may be a good opportinuty to show up my Chinese alt inspired by Gong Li... :smileywink:

chinese.jpg

@ JoJo Thank you and it was good to see you at HippieStock. :)

@Val even your alts are beautiful. :)

yaozou wrote:

恭喜發財! Gung Hei Faat Choy!

It's year 4710, Year of Water Dragon! I recieved blessings from the local temple and prayed yesterday, and I just got done writing to friends in HK now. Other than making some tasty food, I don't think I will do much else.

I'm a bit broke until payday later in the week, so I don't think I'll wear Chinese clothes in SL. But e
veryone else's avatars are pretty! 

Gung Hei Faat Choy! Thank you I did not know how to write that in Chinese but know I do so I added it to the title. ")

Thank you Clarissa! No I didn't make the shape. It comes from Tuty's. It's Gong Li full avatar (although I did play a little with editing sliders to personalize the character). :smileyhappy: I bought it over one year ago and I think there is an updated version now. 

ETA: I was born the year of the Rat, btw!

Cute rat.jpg

Melita Magic wrote:

Happy Year of the Dragon everyone!

Would someone kindly tell us all what Year of the Dragon portends?

And maybe what some other ones mean?

I am

tiger head.gif

1.Rat – 鼠 (子) (Yang, 1st Trine, Fixed Element Water): Forthright, tenacious, intense, meticulous, charismatic, sensitive, intellectual, industrious, charming, eloquent, sociable, artistic, and shrewd. Can be manipulative, vindictive, self-destructive, envious, mendacious, venal, obstinate, critical, over-ambitious, ruthless, intolerant, and scheming.

2.Ox – 牛 (丑) (Water buffalo in Vietnam) (Yin, 2nd Trine, Fixed Element Water): Dependable, ambitious, calm, methodical, born leader, patient, hardworking, conventional, steady, modest, logical, resolute, and tenacious. Can be stubborn, dogmatic, hot-tempered, narrow-minded, materialistic, rigid, and demanding.

3.Tiger – 虎 (寅) (Yang, 3rd Trine, Fixed Element Wood): Unpredictable, rebellious, colorful, powerful, passionate, daring, impulsive, vigorous, stimulating, sincere, affectionate, humanitarian, and generous. Can be restless, reckless, impatient, quick-tempered, obstinate, selfish, aggressive, and moody.

4.Rabbit – 兔 or 兎 (卯) (Cat in Vietnam) (Yin, 4th Trine, Fixed Element Wood): Gracious, good friend, kind, sensitive, soft-spoken, amiable, elegant, reserved, cautious, artistic, thorough, tender, self-assured, shy, astute, compassionate, lucky, and flexible. Can be moody, detached, superficial, self-indulgent, opportunistic, and stubborn.

5.Dragon – 龍 / 龙 (辰) (Yang, 1st Trine, Fixed Element Wood): Magnanimous, stately, vigorous, strong, self-assured, proud, noble, direct, dignified, eccentric, intellectual, fiery, passionate, decisive, pioneering, artistic, generous, and loyal. Can be tactless, arrogant, imperious, tyrannical, demanding, intolerant, dogmatic, violent, impetuous, and brash.

6.Snake – 蛇 (巳) (Yin, 2nd Trine, Fixed Element Fire): Deep thinker, wise, mystic, graceful, soft-spoken, sensual, creative, prudent, shrewd, elegant, cautious, responsible, calm, strong, constant, and purposeful. Can be a loner, bad communicator, possessive, hedonistic, self-doubting, distrustful, mendacious, suffocating, and cold.

7.Horse – 馬 / 马 (午) (Yang, 3rd Trine, Fixed Element Fire): Cheerful, popular, quick-witted, changeable, earthy, perceptive, talkative, agile, magnetic, intelligent, astute, flexible, and open-minded. Can be fickle, arrogant, childish, anxious, rude, gullible, and stubborn.

8.Sheep – 羊 (未) (Yin, 4th Trine, Fixed Element Fire): Righteous, sincere, sympathetic, mild-mannered, observant, artistic, intellectual, ingenious, innovative, creative, mothering, peaceful, and generous. Can be indecisive, over-passive, worrier, pessimistic, sensitive, shy, and weak-willed.

9.Monkey – 猴 (申) (Yang, 1st Trine, Fixed Element Metal): Inventor, motivator, improviser, quick-witted, inquisitive, flexible, innovative, problem solver, self-assured, sociable, artistic, polite, dignified, competitive, objective, and factual. Can be egotistical, vain, arrogant, selfish, reckless, snobbish, deceptive, manipulative, cunning, jealous, suspicious, and stubborn.

10.Rooster – 雞 / 鸡 (酉) (Yin, 2nd Trine, Fixed Element Metal): Acute, neat, meticulous, organized, self-assured, decisive, conservative, critical, perfectionist, alert, zealous, practical, scientific, and responsible. Can be over zealous and critical, puritanical, egotistical, abrasive, proud, opinionated, and gives into empty bravado.

11.Dog – 狗 / 犬 (戌) (Yang, 3rd Trine, Fixed Element Metal): Honest, intelligent, straightforward, loyal, sense of justice and fair play, attractive, amicable, unpretentious, sociable, open-minded, idealistic, moralistic, practical, affectionate, sensitive, and easy going. Can be cynical, lazy, cold, judgmental, pessimistic, worrier, stubborn, and quarrelsome.

12.Pig – 豬 / 猪 (亥) (Boar in Japan and Elephant in Northern Thailand) (Yin, 4th Trine, Fixed Element Water): Honest, gallant, sturdy, sociable, peace-loving, patient, loyal, hard-working, trusting, sincere, calm, understanding, thoughtful, scrupulous, passionate, and intelligent. Can be naïve, over-reliant, self-indulgent, gullible, fatalistic, and materialistic.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4503 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.