How to Make the Object Modify but not it's texture ?

JoseNightHawk

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4479 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I am new to making clothes and I have a sculpt outfit I want to make it so you can modify the outfit but you can not change its texture. How do I do this please. Like so they can't re colour it or anything.  I have seen objects you can modify the size but the texture box and colour box are locked.

Thanks

3 answers to this question

As far as I know (and I used to have a clothing store) there is no way to make the prim modify and keep people from tinting. The only thing that you could do in that regard would be to add a script to the prim that would let them resize the item in questions (let's call it a collar). You could then make the item no mod so that they would not be able to change texture or tint, but they would still be able to resize to some degree. I believe you have plenty of choices of those scripts on the Marketplace.

Edit: OK, you edited your post I see, so my original comment doesn't make as much sense. I have not seen what you mention, but trust that you have. Best perhaps to ask in the clothing creation forums. OR maybe someone here will know. I have blog fashion full time for four years so I am a bit puzzled. Will look forward to hearing the answer if there is one. 

If you buy a dress in RL, you can alter it and you can also dye it.  You can even cut it apart and make something else out of the fabric if you want to.  You have the RL equivalent of our mod perms.  The big difference in SL is that a designer can lock the mod perms and not let you change anything.  There's no halfway setting though .... change something.  It's all or nothing.

I've been making clothing in SL for almost 5 years.  Everything I sell is mod/copy because I want the customer to be able to alter it as necessary, and I want her to have a backup in case she screws up.  She can't transfer it to somebody else, but it she wants to try and "improve" on my work and wear it around SL, that's her business.  She bought it.

Are you sure you can modify the size in the items you've seen? Meaning stretch them? You can move and rotate items regardless of their permissions (unless they're mesh), but I haven't seen an item that can be stretched but not recolored or retextured. As others have said, the only way I can think of to allow some resizing but no color changing is to make the item no-mod and put in a resizer script.

It's never advisable to create multiple threads; just edit this one with any new information, questions, etc. Just because one answer doesn't work for you doesn't mean another won't come along in the same thread that will, and creating multiple questions just clutters things up.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4479 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.