Update on some mesh related statistics

Charlar Linden

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4323 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Look at it this way. Let's say I have this really awesome thing, and a bunch of us all work on it together for free, whenever we have the time. All of a sudden, things get tight. I can't spend my time working on this awesome thing. Every1 else starts to have the same problem, and pretty soon, our awesome thing is now crap. So, basically, I had some fun for a short time, and maybe learned a little, but essentially, that time was wasted. Not cause we did it for free, but because it never went anywhere.

I'm not saying the TPVs should charge for the viewer. No, that would be retarded. There are lots of other ways to make money or bring money in. Some of that is by donations, but a better way would be to offer something the user would pay for. We pay for classifieds in the standard viewer. Personally, I think the inworld search is a problem, so this is an area that could be massively improved by a TPV. Plus, having different search engines would diversify the market even more, resulting in less high and lows for each of us. We would not be completely reliant on the decisions of a few Lindens.

Regarding LL v3.2, I can't stand it like I could not stand any LL V2.x/3.x viewers. The reason is the GUI. It has changed in V3.2, but now it's just clutter rearranged,. Web profiles are super slow ( wihch is caused by the extremely slow and uncomfortably to use integrated so called web browser) and lack functionality ( no online status in profiles anymore, but who needs to see othr'S onlen status, now you can use teh horrible twitter clone feed in the web profile to post more useless stuff)), the split people floater, local chat floater and IM/Group chat floaters are an absolute no go, the monstrous cam controls are still there, non resizeable. Even on a 24 inch display with the gui size set to 0.9 the screen is rcluttered and filled elatively fast with floaters that kill immersion. Compared with the Firestorm Viewer, whch allows you to add, remove and rearange the needed functions in the botton ( why should i clutter all four edges of the screen with buttons?), has a unified people/im/group/local chat floater,  allows to resize the cam controls to a sane small size, uses non web profiles ( faster, more functions), the LL V3.2 GUI uses up approx 30-50% more screen real estate. As long as LL is juggling around with so many split floaters and monstrous ui elements V3.2 is unuseable to me. When LL adds sane functionality over shinyness, I might return to a LL viewer as daily viewer, but with the current GUI: No, thanks, keep your horrible Ui functionality.

J.

While I agree that the camera controls are HUGE, I kind of think that everything else you stated is a bit off base.

Doesn't look cluttered to me.

SLuiSnapshot_001.jpg

I will say that I don't really like how and when windows become transparent and opague. I could do without the avatar icons also, and I usually turn them off. Pie menu would be nice to have back also. Local chat and IMs should be back in 1 window, irreguardless of what feedback they got from newbs. I'm sure there are some other tweeks I could suggest, but overall, I don't find it all that much different than 1.23, just much better with full functionality.

I've heard many people complain about the profiles, but this seems to me to be more related to how people used the old 1. I feel the new 1 and the social networking system kicks butt. The slight delay to load is hardly an issue for me. The social network rocks tho. I get to see what all my SL friends and creators are doing, and with photos. You have to friend Torley, lol. I only wish we could post and view video. As a marketing tool, unlike FB, our social network is extremely relevant to marketing. I now direct all customers to my Profile to find out about new releases. Plus, the customers help to spread my posts.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4323 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.