ANS and Direct Delivery

Sassy Romano

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4458 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm going to highlight this in case it is otherwise missed.

"ANS is not ready for testing. We expect to have this ready to go by the week of 1/16/2012. NOTE that ANS will not be supported for inworld objects. (It is supported for static URLs.) There is no current plan to support sending notifications to inworld objects; however, we are interested in feedback and will revisit this decision if there is a strong case to support this. (See below for ways to provide feedback.)"

I have no dog in this fight, the ANS method that I use for my purposes takes data from Marketplace and sends it to a web host.

However, if you have a vending solution that relies on a script being added to your Magic Box or other scripted solution that makes use of ANS data arriving at a prim inworld, you need to comment accordingly.  Not in this thread but in response to the methods outlined at the bottom of this post:-

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Marketplace/Direct_Delivery_Beta_Instructions

Ann, what i t means is this.

At present, when a sales occurs on MP, you can configure such that details about that sale will go to one of 3 locations:-

1. A web page, typically for logging to SQL or other scripted process
  2. Email
  3. An inworld object that can receive the data and process it via LSL scriptj

Only the first method is to be kept when DD is used.

So in short, anyone who might currently be sending sale data to an inworld object will lose this function.  Some people might use this for things such as creation of a licence key or maybe a web download URL or for vendor system logging etc. will be impacted.

LL will NOT maintain an "Object DNS" even though in the LL asset system, they already know the detail..

My alert here is just to raise awareness of a subtle change to a behaviour, that some merchants might be using in their processes but which is going to be removed.

Sassy Romano wrote:

Ann, what i t means is this.

At present, when a sales occurs on MP, you can configure such that details about that sale will go to one of 3 locations:-
  1. A web page, typically for logging to SQL or other scripted process
  2. Email
  3. An inworld object that can receive the data and process it via LSL scriptj

Only the first method is to be kept when DD is used.

So in short, anyone who might currently be sending sale data to an inworld object will lose this function.  Some people might use this for things such as creation of a licence key or maybe a web download URL or for vendor system logging etc. will be impacted.

LL will NOT maintain an "Object DNS"
even though
in the LL asset system, they already know the detail..

My alert here is just to raise awareness of a subtle change to a behaviour, that some merchants might be using in their processes but which is going to be removed.

So at first i really didnt care about the info that DD didnt support ANS until your last posting.  I highlighted my concern in RED.

So you are saying the ability for Merchants to receive an email notification of an MP sale does not work for DD?  Or is this method #2 that you say DD wont support is for some other email output?

Since I cannot think of another email output trigger from an MP sale, I suspect you are saying what I am thinking.... the DD method wont send out MP Sales Transaction Emails to Merchants?

I sure hope you are wrong about that since it is a critical method of me tracking sales activities daily on MP.  I suspect a large number of other merchants also have enabled email notifications of MP sales. 

Not only do I use it to see if a sale has been made but I also am looking for the followup confirmation that the Buyer has actually received the product he/she bought.

I expect this function will continue to exist in DD.

Toysoldier Thor wrote:

So you are saying the ability for Merchants to receive an email notification of an MP sale does not work for DD?  Or is this method #2 that you say DD wont support is for some other email output?

Since I cannot think of another email output trigger from an MP sale, I suspect you are saying what I am thinking.... the DD method wont send out MP Sales Transaction Emails to Merchants?

Yes, it's a different function than the one that's on the xstreet page for configuring email to object/avatar.  The one on the ANS config page would let you send an email to something like purchases@toystoys.com which would be distinct from your known email account that MP sends to.

You can go back to sleep now, free of concern or interest :P

Morgaine Christensen wrote:

How will this change effect those Vendor systems that use ANS messages to compile reports from MP, if enabled?

As stated, if those vendor system RELY on a script being added to the Magic Box, they will no longer work since there will be no Magic Box to put the script in and no replacement process is proposed other than for the merchant to take the data into a web host and process it from there (sending it back inworld via their own methods if desired).

Thanks for the clarification...I am not the most technical person around.  Never paid much attention to the ANS infor since I never really used a vendor system till I recently opened an inworld store. 

As usual, LL cannot leave well enough alone at times in the name of progress. Some days, I feel they are going to progress themselves out of a job.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4458 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.