The Avatar Picker: Can I add my own Avatars?

Minareth Irata

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4487 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Well, as the title says/asks: The Avatar Picker: Can I add my own Avatars? The Avatar Picker is nice for new people maybe, but is utterly wasted if it has no editing possiblities. And I myself love the idea of just changing Avatars with one/two clicks and images showing what you are going to change to, instead of diving in your Inventory.

I tried everything, even dove into the installation folder but can't find anything and I do have a complete Avatar in a folder in Outfits, so if it is supposed to auto-detect, it's not working.

Anyone know if this menu can be edited in any way? Can you add your own Avatars?

To the best of my knowledge, no. I haven't tried hacking the viewer code, but I believe it looks in the Library for what avatars to choose from. It was intended only for newbies, and they didn't bother to think of how experienced users could benefit from that.

Personally, I think being able to nuke the default selections and add our own would rock. It would be nice to see a picture of the avatar ensemble before loading it.

You can do something like that, just not that way.  See this page for viewer 3.2

Appearance for beginners 2012

http://virtualoutworlding.blogspot.com/2012/01/kit-appearance-for-beginners-2012.html

You can edit and modify your avatar, then save it to your outfit folder.  When you want to wear it again, go to the outfit folder, right click on the outfit, and select "Wear"

TKR

Would this be the 'avatar picker' that is part of secondlife.com, the website, and so completely separate to Second Life, the 3D virtual world?  If so then it only appears when newbies are making their initial avatar selection but i suppose you could contact LL if you have created a new avatar and want to make it available to everyone.  If you're talking about something else then I don't know what you mean.

RE: Minareth Irata

Viewer 3 incorporates an optional button brought to the main viewer from the aborted "Basic Mode" for newbies. It presents a list of a dozen pre-defined avatars, as a picture 'film strip', and you click the picture to get a fully-dressed, complete newbie avatar. You have zero control over the outfit, because in its initial form, the noobs didn't even have access to their own inventory!

Awww, you got me all excited for nothing :-( I thought they'd brought the ring of 3D, full-body, animated, avatars from the web-site into the viewer.  The 2D, portrait only, static one in-world was a disappointment, especially as they could have just linked to the web page. Bloody vampires are first I see - what is it with LL and vampires *sigh*?

@ OP - We can't edit what's shown there but here are some suggestions:

1. Take a snapshot of each of your avatars/outfits and save them in the same folders so you have a reference
  2. Get a texture-changer script, put pictures of each of your snapshots in it - it'll be an index, if nothing else
  3. Box each of your avatars/outfits with the picture on the outside. Link them together and rezz for a 'open this box for this outfit' wardrobe
  4. Do either 2 or 3 with a giver/vendor script to give you a folder of the appropriate ckothes and objects
  5. Use a RLV so that it can dress you appropriately as soon as you select a picture

As Thinkerer already said, the Outfits feature gives exactly the functionality you want; you just do it a little differently.  If you click on the button with the shirt icon, it will open the outfits tab.  When you click on the Save As button, it will save a folder with links to everything you are wearing.  You can see it on the Outfits tab, and, also, in the My Outfits folder in inventory.  I must have a few hundred of these outfits.  I love this feature.,

HI, you could make a custom avatar picker, but when you see what is involved, you will probably want to stick with the regular outfits tab and skip this. =D I'll spell out the details anyway, in case somebody comes up with a cool idea for it.

The avatar picker is just a web page, the location is defined with the debug setting AvatarPickerURL. the default page for the nain grid will be http://lecs-viewer-web-components.s3.amazonaws.com/v3.0/agni/avatars.html

You can replace this with any web page of your own, it could even be a file:/// url for something local.

The links used on the official page are in the form secondlife:///app/wear_folder/?folder_id=uuid-goes-here

The standard viewer does not give an easy way to fetch folder UUIDs, but it can be done. Go to the SL cache folder, find your-avatar-uuid.inv.gz, gunzip it, and find the cat_id that matches the folder name you would want to use as an outfit.  Then create a link in your local web page with that.  Make sure that this is a complete outfit, clicking these links will do a replace and not add to the avatar.

As you can proably see, this really is not very handy once you move out of the library, your private inventory folders will be unique to you. But, maybe a TPV could make it cooler with a little front end glue.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4487 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.