IP Replacement for a legally purchased dance animation

tidagucrat

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3430 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I went to find a dance i had just recently purchased and couldnt find it. I thought maybe my inventory wasnt loading or something. But i looked into my replica rolex animations where it shoulda been and found it had been replaced with an "IP Replacement"

I dont mind it so much, mistakes happen, and  the creator was nice enough to replace the replacement I'm just curious if anything else is IP replaced and i just dont know about it yet, and curious how or why or what signals these things for removal especially when it was legally purchased from the creators mainstore

That happens when LL removes content as a result of a DMCA Takedown Order. Some content creator claimed the removed item violated their copyrights. For example, someone copybotted their animations out of a dance HUD, and tossed them into a "Business in a box" product and sold it, or incorporated the stolen animations into their own products.

Most often, the content creator of a legit-seeming product doesn't realize that the 'full perms animation' that they bought somewhere was actually stolen goods. Sounds like that is what happened to the maker of your product, and when they found out, they were able to get you a replacement.

LL frequently does that sort of "IP Replacement", and they never bother to give anyone a warning about it, except to notify the apparent owner of the infringing content that they are taking the item(s) off the grid because of a DMCA claim. From LL's end, it's a mass search and replace at the asset server end, swapping the item based on it's UUID, and they don't have a list of whose inventory they did it to.

What really sucks is that sometimes they take down legitimate content that way, breaking stuff that never should have been messed with in the first place.

• 2 years later...

Scratches Sass wrote:

what happened to the common message we had to replace this with this email to come in and find dances i had purchased years ago replaced with ip replacement is odd to me.. Or you get creators who know nothing of the current DMCA issues ie: read vista's comments

you will want to see on the LL blog, Recent Inventory Issues 

You may want to read the current thread (8 pages long ) about animations from Firestorm viewer absconded.

A lot of people have had legally purchased animations removed and NOT compensated. In other places one might be forgiven for feeling this is theft.

Apparently this is an error and has been fixed, it hasn't yet.

Scratches Sass wrote:

what happened to the
common message we had to replace this with this email to come in and find dances i had purchased years ago replaced with ip replacement is odd to me.. Or you get creators who know nothing of the current DMCA issues ie: read vista's comments on his profile..

What happened to the simple idea of not replying to posts that were written 3 years ago?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3430 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.