Invisible Texture Gone?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4480 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Quick and maybe stupid question - have I missed something?

Do the two invisprim textures 38b86f85-2575-52a9-a531-23108d8da837 and e97cf410-8e61-7005-ec06-629eba4cd1f no longer work? I had a prim set to hide the water level in the bottom of a boat cockpit and I just noticed it doesn't seem to be working. Is this the result of alpha masks being brought in for avatars or something else - SL temporary glitch or Viewer (Firestorm) related and, if so, is there any way to regain the effect?

'Cos I found it useful.

OK - just read up on Deferred Rendering which would appear to be the culprit. Bummer - that looks as if it totally screws up my water concealment for boats and dry dock.unless ppl set their viewer to no shaders.

So my query still stands - any way round this LL 'improvement' that renders my use of the invisiprim feature totally redundant?

That's funny.  Those invisiprim textures still work for me.  I know that they will fail some day, as Immy says, but there are still loads of shoes and other products in SL that were built with them.  People can always wear alpha clothing layers to replace the invisiprims in their shoes, but people who have boats like yours will be out oif luck.  I expect to hear a loud wailing sound across the land on that day.

Still works for me, in the current release 3.2.4 Viewer.

I shall be very annoyed when and if invisiprims do cease working, since I have a lot of shoes and furry avatars that will become trash at that point, and unusable. The shoes are no-mod and I can't remove the invisiprims, or even retexture them to 100% transparent. The avatars are mainly older ones that will never get a revised version, or will be very expensive to update.

They break in 3.2.5 if you have deferred rendering turned on.   See https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/SH-2720  (the link I originally gave, https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/VWR-27981, was closed as a duplicate of SH-2720).

Something needs to be done, certainly, since this breaks a lot of the shoes, at least, in the older library avatar outfits, as I noticed the other day when I created an alt to test something completely different.   And while I knew why my shoes looked horrible, and what to do about it, new residents probably won't, and will be given a wholly mistaken impression of what content in SL is like.

Update:

Thanks for replies.

Rolig - brace yourself for a gradually increasing volume of wailing as people across SL upgrade to the latest viewer and set their graphics to the best their machines can achieve, and Ceera - prepare to be annoyed....... vewy vewy annoyed!

As soon as you activate anything more sophisticated than basic shaders in Graphics Preferences the invisiprim effect is gone, defunct, dead, deceased, alas, no more........

So if I want to pursue the modest SL revenue stream I was anticipating, I have to tell prospective purchasers to downgrade their viewing experience in order to benefit from the effect? As if that's going to be welcomed!!

Unless LL do something to remedy the issue I guess it's back to the drawing board for some other eye catching innovative idea in an effort to generate some SL cash.  :smileysad:

Hummm. Well, lighting and shadows does not work on my Mac or my PC, and I don't have the budget or any particularly compelling reasons to upgrade either system any time soon, so I guess it will be a while before it affects what I can see. I get 30 FPS with V3 on either system, and can happily live without shadows and slower frame rates.

Unfortunately, how everyone else sees me will soon degrade, and I won't even be able to see the problem so I can correct it. So I still end up having to throw out hundreds of real dollars worth of shoes and furry avatars that I have purchased over the last 6+ years, if I don't want to look like a walking rendering glitch.

LL is also completely ignoring the fact that there are other uses for invisiprims that can not be replaced by avatar alpha layers:

I have several attachments for my avatar that makes it possible to have anatomically correct body cavities. They need an invisiprim across the opening to mask the avatar body in that spot. But to do that with an avatar alpha layer would require a custom apha layer for each avatar that wears it, because the exact positioning can vary depending on the avatar it is attached to, and their appearance settings. 

Invisiprims are still the only way to hide Linden water. Try making a realistic small boat without invisiprims. You'll have water inside the hull of your boat, where the inside of the hull is below the water line. 

That's sad.  I'll probably find myself in the same boat sooner or later, Ceera.  I have loads of favorite shoes and other products that I bought no-mod, in the pre-alpha layer days and will hate to lose.  At the moment, the problem doesn't bother me personally because I have not found the enhanced shadows and shading impressive enough to warrant sacrificing performance.  As more people fail to see my lovely shoes, though, I guess I will finally have to abandon them. I can't put that personal loss in the same category as yours, but I share your pain.

Rolig Loon wrote:

That's sad.  I'll probably find myself in the same boat sooner or later, Ceera.  I have loads of favorite shoes and other products that I bought no-mod, in the pre-alpha layer days and will hate to lose.

Doesn't matter if the shoes are no mod because invisiprims are already invisible so you don't need to remove them. You just need to make or find an alpha mask for them.

leliel Mirihi wrote:

[...]

Doesn't matter if the shoes are no mod because invisiprims are already invisible so you don't need to remove them. You just need to make or find an alpha mask for them.

Unfortunately, the alpha mask will hide my feet, but not the visible invisiprim. People won't see my ugly SL feet, but they'll see a plywood box where my heel belongs. :smileysad:

It will appear as would a normal prim that had been set to fully transparent.   That is, you don't see the prim, but it won't hide the avatar mesh, so you see the bits of (e.g.) feet that it's supposed to be hiding.

It does a few funky things with shadows, too, but that's the main glitch. 

If you look at some of the screenshots at https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/SH-2720 and (closed as a duplicate) https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/VWR-27981 you'll see what's happening.

Major enough for issues which are not related specifically to avatar mesh though, such as the water surface, which is my grievance.

And just out of interest - will wearing an alpha layer to hide body parts clash and cause the alpha sort shimmering glitch with any no-mod item which already contains an invisiprim to carry out the same function?

Carbon Philter wrote:

Major enough for issues which are not related specifically to avatar mesh though, such as the water surface, which is my grievance.

And just out of interest - will wearing an alpha layer to hide body parts clash and cause the alpha sort shimmering glitch with any no-mod item which already contains an invisiprim to carry out the same function?

Yes for certain individuals it will, I'll have some broken content myself, using that very same water trick. I ment for SL as a whole, that invisiglitch has primerely been used to hide bodyparts.

And the alpha channel clothing layer shouldn't give problems, there's no texture that can chatter or flipflop or how do you want to call it? Nothing to sort is the best description I guess. But that's a SHOULD ...I haven't tested it.

Hehe... It's not a matter of disbelieving, but of misinterpreting.  Since the invisiprims don't fail on my screen, I had no way of telling exactly what they were doing on anyone else's.  I was about to experiment and find out when Innula provided the answer.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4480 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.