Skirt rez issues with multiple prim skirts.

noxdraconis

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4489 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi, forgive me if this is the wrong place to post this, but there didn't seem to be a forum dedicated to technical issues with clothing.

Anyhow, this my problem:

From my understanding, many multiple prim skirts (and other clothing objects, I guess) use a script to spawn multiple copies of the initial prim and thus create the full item at the time it is worn.

However, this is no longer working for me.  What happens is that when I go to wear such a skirt, only the initial (single)  prim is realised but the rest of the skirt fails to appear.  Thus my avatar winds up wearing single small prim and not an entire skirt.

Just to be clear.  This is with clothing that I have bought and which worked previously, not clothes that I am trying to create.  I don't think it is LSL errors, as no messages appear in chat (it is my understanding that LSL errors will appear in the chat box). 

I wish I could tell you which version of the viewer this started happening in, but I only play occasionally, and sometimes I don't change my outfit for a while.

Anyhow, thanx in advance for your help.

-nox 

That's an odd way to create a skirt.  It seems like a lot more work than simply creating a multiprim skirt in the first place, and it leaves you with a skirt that has an unnecessary script in it.  All of that aside, though, it does sound like a script malfunction.  You wouldn't get any kind of error message unless the script's memory overflowed or if your skirt were missing some part that the script is meant to rez.  The script may be turned off, or you may be in a parcel where scripts are disabled.  If neither of those is the problem, all I'd be able to do without seeing the script itself is guess at why it's not working.  You may have to go back to the creator and ask for help.

Are you sure that the skirt is rezzing multiple prims?

I've never heard of it being done that way and I can't imagine how it would work -- I don't think the prims would be able to link up while the skirt was attached, would they?   Normally when scripts are involved in skirt-making, it's the creator who uses the script to make the skirt in the first place, and then links stuff up and removes the scripts.

I would suspect that either, for some reason, everything bar the one visible prim is still there, but has turned full alpha or that -- just  maybe -- a resizer script has gone amok and resized lots of stuff to <0.01,0.01,0.01>.  Have you checked the item with the editor and seen how many prims it thinks are there?

And, while it's old advice,  try completely clearing your cache -- going to Preferences-Advanced and setting a new cache location is the quickest, way, and then you can manually delete the old one later -- and restart the viewer, and log in somewhere quiet and give your inventory time to rebuild, and see what the skirts look like then.

I've never heard of such a practise either, and can't even imagine why someone would create a skirt that way.

Just out of interest nox, wear it, and click on it to select it in edit mode. When you do this, do all prims immediately appear? If so, you may be experiencing a bug that stops all linked prims appearing. Some have said that turning your LoD up too high can cause occlusion of some prims, but of course if it's too low, sculpts turn wonky, so it may be that you have to do some jiggling to find the right level for you.

What you heard about prims being "spawned" is one way a prim skirt can be created.  Instead of building each prim separately and arranging them manually, a script is used to create a skirt with the number of panels in an array.  However this is only used to create the skirt.  Once this is done the script is removed and the skirt linked, textured etc.. 

Some skirts have resize scripts in them and there is a slight chance the resize script may have shrunk all the prims to a tiny size, except those that you see.  If this is what happened, wear the skirt and access the resize menu, hit restore, and it should reverse this, restoring all the prims to their original size and position.

The other possibility is that you are only seeing part of the skirt because its not rezzing correctly on your viewer.  If other people see the skirt normally, this is what is happening.  Clear cache and relog.

If it is neither of the two things, then something happened to it so that the asset server doesn't  recreate it properly when you wear it.  You will need to contact the creator and see if they will give you a replacement.

My first thought is that what you are wearing is the little skirt flap that is added to shorts to give the illusion of being a skirt.

Many mini skirts are actually a shorts texture with a skirt prim added that in carefully taken photos appears to be a skirt. If you were to wear the skirt prim without the corresponding shorts texture, then it would indeed appear as you were only wearing a single prim covering your crotch area. :/

The skirt prim is often called skirt, perhaps adding to the confusion. You should have a folder that the skirt is in, in that folder should be the skirt prim and some clothing layers. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4489 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.