L;ooking to be a reseller

Johnny2TheO

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4534 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

There's really not much in it for a builder to let a reseller sell their stuff in the current SL.

Land is super cheap, so if you need a shop, just make one yourself. And Marketplace has killed the value for having most satellite locations, with a few specialized exceptions where what you want is awareness more than actual sales (like putting up a sign in a RP sim advertising that you make content themed for it).

So before you decide to try this business model, ask yourself why a content-creator would sell through you rather than directly? What advantage can you offer them they can't get on their own?

Quite the opposite....Content providers are issuing more and more affiliate type vendor systems (Franchises) ....instead of opening satellite shops or renting in Malls like they use to. They don't have to bear the cost of renting land or any related marketing costs...so it makes sense! For each item sold they'll receive anything from 50 to 80% of the sale price at no further cost.

With the current climate of in-world shopping..It's a good strategy for the Creator. The only pain is having to deal with non-deliveries through their server system.

Not so sure on that. Not what I'm seeing.

I'm seeing people cutting down on inworld locations, and moving to MP for all but a mainstore.

And its always a fair question to ask: what added value can a hypothetical "you" give to someone by reselling their stuff?

- If you want to start a business, you need to make sure you can answer what value you will give to your clients.

There are ton of franchises covering just about every sector in SL. You could easily kit out a whole Mall or Shopping area with Franchises alone...most of which can be obtained from Marketplace. In fact i have seen whole shopping areas (or Malls) done this way.

It's extra sales to the creator at no further risk! The risk is taken by the likes of Johnny....who either has to rent a Mall spot of rent land for his intended shop.

Creators add new products throught their Franchise groups....thus enabling their affiliates to also set out  these new products in their own stores. Even some Creators will add franchise vendors to compliment their existing business....e.g Maybe a Skin creator might want to include a Body Shapes or Hair (e.g Alli & Ali ) or Eyes (e.g CDD) affiliate inside their mainstore so that potential customers are able to purchase all the Avatar components to make a complete one.

Pussycat Catnap wrote:

There's really not much in it for a builder to let a reseller sell their stuff in the current SL.

Search the marketplace for affiliate and go price high to low. There is a lot in it ..

Guess it all depends on what you are reselling and how high maintnance the products are.

I wouldn't advise the OP to go with freebies or dollarbies.. but the program by hobo (for example) there looks quite attractive.

there are plenty of quality reseller packages that are FREE to "purchase" and you get a percentage of each sale, search reseller in the marketplace and filter price low to high, and flip thru till you find content you like at a percentage that makes taking up space on your land, also consider learning content creation :)

There are way more affiliate vendor programs than there used to be.

There are also way more in-world retail locations that are just affiliate vendors, and many sites for each creator's vendors, so it's very good advice not to bother with this unless you have some edge -- either an exclusive reseller arrangement with some particular creators (which wouldn't be easy to get) or some way of optimizing search marketing better than all your competition.

One important note:  With more numerous affiliate programs comes increased risk to the affiliates.  Be sure to only enroll an account that has low enough L$ balances that you wouldn't care if it got wiped out.  Those affiliate vendor scripts will require Debit permission to set up, and you have no recourse if some affiliate program one day becomes "siphon off all affiliates' account balances and skip town."

Yes i'am looking quality reseller packages biker cloths an tattos an one really good bike vendar. i think am in a good  spot to set this up.. i' rent a sim on the biker sim or route 66 so i think its a good start. or i was thinking of renting building out.  for vendar  to rent from me..

Rene Erlanger wrote:

Yep...handing out freebies or selling Dollarbies won't pay the rent for the land.....he should opt to sell quality products and make sure he brushes up on his / her advertising & marketing techniques.  (needs to drive or attract customers to the in-world Store)

yeah that ^^

is same like a rl shopkeeper in a mall selling the same stuff in the same mall that the same as every other mall selling the same stuff. if not much good at marketing and customer relations then will be fail

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4534 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.