Real Life Skin Questions!

Thundurus

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4485 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hey umm i am quite new to SL still although i have played in the past and i want to ask a few questions.

Are there any shops, componies on SL that will make my real life skin and turn it into a SL skin?

Is there any other special ways of doing it?

Please help/fill me in if i am missing anything :) Thanks!

That would be a custom skin and quite expensive.

You might be better off joining a freebie group, reading freebie blogs, joining skin shop groups and such, to find yourself a freebie skin that is close to your real life look.

I know some are a bugaboo for being a clone of their real life selves, but truthfully no one is going to know the difference.

If you're trying to create make an avatar that looks exactly like you I'm afraid you could be setting yourself up for a very expensive disappointment. The limitations of the shape mesh mean that it can't be modified to look exactly like a true human face - for example, all people's faces are slightly asymmetrical, especially as far as eye height, and the shape modifiers can't support that. Your movement also will be unrealistic. You'll get to the point that the closer you get to your actual RL looks the more the mismatches will stick out. You can see the problem in any of the recent Robert Zemeckis-directed motion capture computer animated movies - it's called the "uncanny valley."

There are also some skin makers that make specialty skins, sort of non standard... if you give us an idea of what you are looking for we might be able to help you find something that won't cost you an arm and a leg (so to speak), if you can provide a picture that will help too.

IF you know anything about Photoshop or gimp there are tutorials on how to go from a photo to a skin. Here is one link I found. It may be better to try and make the skin for yourself from numerouse pictures you take. At least then if you don't like it it didn't cost an arm and a leg, and if you do like it but want something in a higher quality you can then find a custom skin maker.

Hope this helps you at least some.

• 2 weeks later...

Some people just cannot be recreated in Second Life. Not convincingly. The mesh just does not do certain things. Especially with the male mesh there are only certain type of noses for example. The mesh can be frustrating. This is why you tend to see a lot of the same avatar looks repeated over and over in the game.

they used to have this morph thing where you could have your face put onto a skin..but it never really worked well in here..the faces kind of looked fake in this world..

the best way to really get yourself looking like you is to try and get your shape as close to your features in rl and then try out some demo skins and adjust until you are happy with the look..

a skin won't do it by itself..you could put the same skin on 10 different people with different shapes and it look different each time..

spending tons of money on a skin without having the right shape will leave you disapointed..

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4485 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.