Coat - underclothes show through

newsue

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4515 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm quite new to SL but am playing about with outfits.

Wanting to be 'realistic'  :matte-motes-asleep-2:  I bought a coat for the cold weather.

My skirt underneath keeps showing through, is this a normal problem or do I need to do something.

Sue

Movement can make things show through. You might need to make the coat a bit larger so there is more space between it and the underlayers.  If you are new and do not have good editing skills, try taking the free building classes you can find in search/events/education.  Take any sort of classes as the skill sets are the same.  You move objects around and edit prims the same way if you are building a house, a magic wand or just adjusting your hair, clothes, eyelashes or jewelry.

Good building and editing skills will be of great value to you in SL for many things

It is a common problem because most coats has parts made of sculpted prims, and they can't be flexi and will not move with your avatar. I often find that wide coats helps for this problem. Many also wears a shape with smaller hips/butt under, so they will not show through so easy. If your shape is modifiable, you can take in those parts and save it as "coat shape" in the coat folder.

Sounds weird but I have done it often. I just need to have my ordinary shape in a well marked folder under body parts so I can put it back on.

Newer technology with mesh will give us coats that stretch when the avatar moves, but that is stil new and the majority of coats sold is with sculpted prims.

I'll try the shape alteration.

I have been a bit unadventurous with that up to now as somehow I ended up with an avatar I like, I think I got it with an outfit somehow but I like it anyway so I am reluctant to do too much until I know what I am doing.

Somehow a skirt (attachment) part of an outfit is not sitting on my avatar correctly and I did not knowingly alter or edit it.

Sue

Editing stuff is hard, but when you first learnt it, it's quick. Use a pose stand - you can find free ones in the Marketplace or in Changing Rooms. 

And before you edit things, see if you can take a copy. Click on the skirt in your inventory, choose copy and then paste in the same folder. Then you can edit the copy without worrying about ruining it, if you do, you can always delete it and take a new copy.

Sometimes you can move a wrong attachment because you selected another attachment, and  don't notice it before you moved it. All I can suggest is to try a posestand and carefully try to move it back. A posestand makes it more easy. 

Do you have the original box the outfit came in? If so, you can rez it in a sandbox and get a new skirt from it. This is if the skirt is copy. The new skirt should have the attachment the place the creator intended it be. so you can delete the skirt that's been messed up.  Some shops have a redelivery service, or you can try to contact the merchant. If it was a copy/no transfer outfit, you can be lucky and get a new one.

Avatars come in all sizes and shapes and a clothing designer can only make things fit an average shape and size.  So its very typical.that you have to move prims around or resize them to get the best fit for your avatar.  I have to mod just about everything i buy this way.  Spending some time learning how to do this is time well spent if you want to look your best.

Amethyst Jetaime wrote:

Avatars come in all sizes and shapes and a clothing designer can only make things fit an average shape and size.  So its very typical.that you have to move prims around or resize them to get the best fit for your avatar.  I have to mod just about everything i buy this way.  Spending some time learning how to do this is time well spent if you want to look your best.

In the properties of my coat it says, 'No Modify', I am trying to stretch it but am not sure if that is the correct or best way to try.

Sue

newsue wrote:

In the properties of my coat it says, 'No Modify', I am trying to stretch it but am not sure if that is the correct or best way to try.

Sue

If it's 'No Modify' then you cannot resize it, nor edit the individual prims on it. Only thing what you can do is that you can move it. Some no modify items have a resizer script however which can do the resizing. Personally I try to avoid 'No Modify' items. One can get always better fitting if one can modify manually the individual prims.

Coby Foden wrote:

newsue wrote:

Sue

Personally I try to avoid 'No Modify' items. One can get always better fitting if one can modify manually the individual prims.

Thank you.

Sue

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4515 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.