"Date" Column in Manage Inventory working improperly

Arwen Serpente

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4533 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Dear Merchant Group,

The Deploy of November 30, 2011 introduced a new "Date" column on the Manage Inventory page. The original explanation provided by LL of how this column would function was: It represents the date the item was placed in the magic box and synced with MP. The explanation was later revised to: This field will update with each edit to an item. (A formal explanation of this column would be appreciated in the Merchant Release Notes, so that it is not left up to a JIRA writer to explain the field).

However,
1) The initial dates for each product as of the Nov 30 deploy date are incorrect
2) Even when NO EDITS are made, the date column is changing from day to day. Multiple attachments have been provided demonstrating the daily progression of this bug.

I have provided multiple screenshots illustrating the progression of this bug. However, while the Commerce Team acknowledges there is something borked with my listings, they will not work on this bug until more Merchants report that they are experiencing it as well. For those who are going to use the Date Column to manage their inventory (say a quick reference for when you last updated a listing), this is something that should be fixed.

Please review your "Date" Field in Manage Inventory. IF you are also finding that it has incorrect dates, or, changing dates (without you making any edits to a listing), please go to:

https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/WEB-4290

and set to "Watch" (that's what LL looks at rather than "Vote")

Thanks,

Arwen

Your kidding me that they really need more Merchants to acknowledge that this bug is universal??

<Shakes my head>

OK I will JIRA vote and watch it... but how lame is that.  Since their own Q/A testing of the new function failed to notice what appears to be so obvious - once again - then I guess we all have to scream loud so that LL Commerce Team can hear us from deep in their developers cave (from from the presence of their customers).

Its totally a borked function.

The other JIRA from the Nov 30th deploy is the half-baked USER LICENSE feature that is nothing more than a joy buzzer since LL Commerce Team didnt think it might be important to include the fact that a potential USER / BUYER that is being asked to agree to a Merchant's EULA should be forced and actually allowed to read the terms he/she is agreeing to.  i.e. LL should have allowed Merchants (and even force) to add a EULA Note to any listing that the USER LICENSE permission is enabled.

So I was pretty accurate that the Nov 30th release would generate 2 JIRA.  I dont think there are more than 2 - are there?

Thanks Toy for the support.

This is a low priority bug for the Commerce Team, so in my back and forth emails with Support, it has been made clear that the JIRA needs more support from the Merchant Community before resources will be applied to fix it.

I understand with the DD release coming in the future, that this may be a low priority, especially if I'm the only one experiencing the bug (or one of a very few). My guess though is that it does affect us all and other Merchants just haven't focused on it/care about it.

Arwen, the sad thing is that Merchant apathy on voting for JIRA issues has been proven many times when voting for LL Commerce / MP bugs and requested enhancements. 

As you saw from my request to get fellow merchants to JIRA vote for improved MP traffic reporting... most merchants that even read these forums either are not comfortable logging into the complex JIRA interface or just don't see a purpose as most often LL staff do not action them unless other communication and pressure from the community forces them to action the JIRA.

So this is great for LL Commerce Team because they can leverage this Customer Apathy of JIRA usage (thanks to LL's own abuse of the JIRA) to argue that the issue is not important enough to waste their time on fixing bugs.

LL Developers don't like doing maintenance.  Its beneath them and its boring.  They would rather keep coding shiny new ideas of theirs then maintain the existing system.  Merchant apathy on JIRA's gives them this out.

Arwen Serpente wrote:

The JIRA created has been changed by CTL to:

So, if you already voted/watched for the first one, apparantly its gone (along with it all the posts/commentary we added).

Please go to this new location.

Why would they delete and create a new Jira like that?  >:-{

Arwen, the dates in my store inventory are also incorrect.  Voted on and Watched this new Jira.

I have no idea, Marcus, but I have spent days posting to the original JIRA and all those comments are erased now. In addition, anyone who voted/watched the first one has had those votes and watch erased as well.

To me, it's one thing to update a JIRA or "clone" it (not sure of the purpose, but ok I'll go with it), but to erase all the comments and the votes/watch, that (to me) is not understandable.

Thank you for adding your comments/watch to the "Clone".

Possibly...it was implemented without explanation to us.

I can certainly see it being useful if it became "sortable".

Also, it will be helpful (actually essential) once we no longer have Magic Boxes and can't physically check our inventory anymore (since the DD system will take whatever we drop into it and send it to the server, but not leave a copy in our inventory). When it operates correctly, a Merchant can see the date of the item and its update. Otherwise, the only way a Merchant would be able to double check inventory would be to buy it themselves (and as we know, Merchants cannot "test" buy their own merchandise anymore without paying commission on their own goods).

I've not really looked at that date field but now that I have it makes no sense to me at all.  It isn't the date of the last sale, nor is it the date when I listed the item.  In fact, non of the dates shown have any relevance to me at all. So, I guess the question is, what it is supposed to be for?

And Toy my dear friend..I vote on the ones I see! 

But, what I really think is that very, very few merchants read these forums.  To me, this is almost our chamber of commerce where one voice can be heard.  Oddly, as small of a group as we have here, I do think we are heard and more so than those who do not participate.

I do like many of the changes they have made but it also looks like search is a bigger mess than ever.  It is clear that cheaper gets better ranking in the "Relevance" search which as we have all discussed, only encourages more freebie junk.

But I digress, to address Arwen's statement, that date field is not doing what it is supposed to do or it is misleading by reporting data that may be beyond our control such as auto syncing.  I have signed your Jira and hope more do as well.

Chelsea Malibu wrote:

I've not really looked at that date field but now that I have it makes no sense to me at all.  It isn't the date of the last sale, nor is it the date when I listed the item.  In fact, non of the dates shown have any relevance to me at all. So, I guess the question is, what it is supposed to be for?

If nothing else on this abortion of a website makes sense why should this?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4533 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.