Touch Say only to avatar who touched

Loki Eliot

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4578 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Here's a simple example that should get you going:

key kToucher;                       //-- who's touching us?integer iMenuChannel = -99;  //-- menu listener channel (start at -99 by default)list lMainMenu = ["YES", "NO", "MAYBE"];//-----------------------------------------------------------------//----- subroutine doMainMenu()
//----- we make this a separate subroutine so that we can easily expand on it later
//----- if it becomes necessary to do additional work like determining whether the
//----- person is authorized to invoke the menu, or presenting different menus for
//----- different users, etc.
doMainMenu(){ llDialog(kToucher, "Make a selection", lMainMenu, iMenuChannel);}//-----BEGIN default() STATE---------------------------------------default{ //----------------------------------------------------------------- //----- event-handler touch_start() occurs whenever the object is //----- touched by an avatar. touch_start(integer iTotalNumber) { kToucher = llDetectedKey(0); //--- get the key of who touched us doMainMenu(); //--- now call up the menu in response to the user's touch } //----- END touch_start()------------------------------------------}//---- END default() STATE-----------------------------------------

(This could probably be simplified even further, but I copied it from an existing source I had lying around.  Yes, my comments tend to be verbose, but it helps me remember what the heck I was trying to accomplish with a given section of code when I have to come back to it six months later! :) )

HI you could also have it say different things if the toucher is in your group or what ever thought id put this here never know who may need it :)

touch_start(integer num_detected)    {        integer x;        key     detectedKey;         for (x = 0; x < num_detected; x += 1)        {            detectedKey = llDetectedKey(x);            if (detectedKey == llGetOwner())            { llInstantMessage(detectedKey," Your the owner");                              }            else if (llSameGroup(detectedKey))                        { llInstantMessage(detectedKey," Your the in my group");                        }           else if (detectedKey == partner)            {  llInstantMessage(detectedKey," Your my partner");

Anyway, I think I misread what the OP was trying to do; the code I posted above would be to present a menu to the toucher.  To just say something to them in the chat channel, here's the simplest possible method:

default{  touch_start(integer iTotalNumber)  {    llInstantMessage(llDetectedKey(0), "STOP TOUCHING ME!");  }}

• Like 1

The trouble with llInstantMessage() is that it will stall your script for 2s.

The newer function llRegionSayTo() does not have any artificial delay and has a number of other advantages (can be addressed to an object or avatar, if addressed to an avatar can be heard by all that avatar's attachments).

default{	touch_end(integer HowMany){		while(HowMany--){			if(0 == HowMany){llRegionSayTo(llDetectedKey(HowMany), 0, "You were the 1st to touch me");}			else if(1 == HowMany){llRegionSayTo(llDetectedKey(HowMany), 0, "You were the 2nd to touch me");}			else if(2 == HowMany){llRegionSayTo(llDetectedKey(HowMany), 0, "You were the 3rd to touch me");}			else{llRegionSayTo(llDetectedKey(HowMany), 0, "You were the " + (string) (HowMany + 1) + "th to touch me");}		}	}}

Indio Quinnell wrote:

Good to know --  I didn't know about the new llRegionSayTo() function; it doesn't seem to be mentioned at the LSL Wiki where I normally get my scripting info from, so it must be a
very
recent addition to the language.  I'll make a note of that for future reference, thanks!

Really lslwiki.net has only had minor edits for over a year, it is missing lots of new fuctionality and changes. It is best used as a secondary source now.

Yeah, me too. It's horribly out of date by now, though, and misleading.  I do miss some of it's folksy style.  It was written for more of an amateur audience than today's wiki -- friendlier for the beginner.  Unfortunately, though, some of that also makes it more ambiguous in places.  All in all, I think it was a good reference for its time, but no longer.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4578 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.