What would you do...

Ariel Vuissent

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4546 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

...if when you made a purchase, you realized that the price you paid was much lower than the cost of the item you bought?

A skin store was having a sale. I had been wanting a new fatpack from them (two, actually, one lighter, one darker than my current skin, also from them), so I popped by. The fatpack buttons were flickering oddly, but thinking it was just a glitch, I tried clicking the edges of the buttons and it worked. I didn't pay much attention to how much I was paying until I looked at my balance after buying the skins and found that it was MUCH higher than it should have been. Even at 50% off, the skins should have totalled over $3000L each, but only $900L was missing from my balance, total.

I've already sent the creator a notecard explaining what happened and asking her to let me know how much I owe her, but I was curious: For consumers, what would you have done? Would you have considered it a good deal and walked away, or contacted the creator as I did and offer to pay the balance? For merchants, what would be your response? Would you be angry, relieved, annoyed by the inconvenience?

I'm kind of nervous. I feel bad for having paid so much less than I know the items are worth, and feel like I should have noticed that the buttons might be blocked for a reason, and not clicked them. So I wonder what others think about this.

To the mods: Sorry if this is in the wrong place!

When a merchants prices his item a certain amount, I think he wants to sell it for this amount. Specially in case of a sale. So I would buy it for this amount and just walk away with it. Unless the item is 10 L$, than I would think the merchant has forgotten to set the price for the item and contact him.

In case I was the merchant, and I had made a mistake in pricing my item, I think the customer is not responsable for my mistake. I would thank the customer very much for letting me know, but let her keep the item for the price she has bought it. After all it was the price I asked at the moment she bought. And then I would adjust my price so new customers should buy it for the price I had in mind for the item.

As a customer nothing, the price was set by the merchant.

When I priced something incorrectly and had it pointed out, I sent out a group notice inviting everyone else to come and buy at the same price if they wanted to, before I set the correct price the following day.

There's a reason the default prices in my vending system are set high, most people query when it's far higher than the advertised price but never lower :)

I accidentally priced a chair at 10L recently (by no means the first time).  Yes, some people stocked up with more chairs than they could ever use -- but one kind customer contacted me to let me know, which I appreciated very much). It was my mistake, so some just got a good deal, yay for them -- but God bless the customers who kindly let me know when I have clearly messed something up. I don't forget who they are.

The creator got back to me and let me know that it was a mistake, but not to worry about paying the difference because it WAS her mistake. She also thanked me for letting her know and offering to pay the difference.

I still kind of feel like I walked into a department store, stuffed the jewelry under my jacket, and only paid for a candy bar; but I'll be frequenting the store again, I'm sure, so I'll make up the difference at some point! I wasn't the only one who ended up with fatpacks at such a low price, either.

Thanks to everyone else for your thoughts and opinions. I'm happy with the way things turned out, and hopefully the creator is satisfied as well.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4546 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.