This is a very serious matter, please answer someone?

PoppinYourPouch

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4536 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Hello

About a month ago, I noticed that there were some extra linden charges on my credit card. So I looked into it and it turns out that my SL daughter had been charging lindens on my credit card. She is a minor in RL, and I had given her my password (I dont know why). Her and my accounts are both on hold, this is an alt i'm using to post this question. We were emailing each other and she said that LL sent her a message saying that her account was on hold for using an unauthorized credit card, she thinks she's going to get arrested...will she? She charged about $200.

7 answers to this question

I doubt it, but I imagine that she knows that she made a serious error in judgement.  The e-mail from LL will have explained whether her account and yours are simply on hold or whether you have been banned from SL. It will also explain how to appeal the action, if you intend to do that.  Beyond that, I suspect that you and she have some things to iron out between you.  If the bill is paid, the hold or ban is probably the end of it as far as LL and anyone else is concerned.  BTW, it's hardly worth saying, but you should also now understand how important it is to never share passwords.

ETA:  Ah.... I somehow missed the point that this is your SL "daughter."  That's a very different matter.  I defer to Peggy's much better comments.  Thank you, Peggy.

These were charges on your credit card, right?  Whether or not you authorized the use of the card or not, I believe you will have to be the one to press the charges before the police will arrest her.  So that question can only be answered by you.  The $200 is a misdemeanor but there's also the identity theft that was obvious taken (she posed as you to make the charges) and that is a felony in most states.  You'd be better to contact a lawyer then decide what you are going to do about it.

I remember another post you made not too long ago about this.  You've had time to get the information you need to do what you need to do.  Asking in the forums is going to get you no where constructively.  I'm having a hard time understanding why a grown adult would allow someone they do not know access to their credit card and personal information (you did that when you gave your password to your SL "daughter").

It sounds to me like she was NOT authorized to do it.  What her legal problems may be will depend on you, LL, and possibly the credit card company and who files charges..  I imagine if you are willing to pay, it may effect the decision.  But if not, then she did commit fraud against LL and they or the credit card company may take steps against her, even if you don't.  You may also be forced to do this if you don't want to pay her bill.  Many credit card companies require you to report unauthorized use to the authorities before they will let you out of paying.

She may be suspended from SL or may be banned, regardless or in addition to any RL legal issues she has.  LL takes fraud seriously.  You may face a problem too as it is against TOS to share an avi with someone and that is what you are doing when you give out your password.

PoppinYourPouch wrote:

Hello

About a month ago, I noticed that there were some extra linden charges on my credit card. So I looked into it and it turns out that my SL daughter had been charging lindens on my credit card. She is a minor in RL, and I had given her my password (I dont know why). Her and my accounts are both on hold, this is an alt i'm using to post this question. We were emailing each other and she said that LL sent her a message saying that her account was on hold for using an unauthorized credit card, she thinks she's going to get arrested...will she? She charged about $200.

Yes, this is a very serious matter.  Seems to me you gave a person who you knew was a minor access to mature/adult online material by giving her permission and access to log into your account. 

--Cinn

It's true that the TOS states "You are responsible for maintaining the confidentiality of your password and are responsible for any harm resulting from your disclosure, or authorization of the disclosure of your password or from any person's use of your password to gain access to your Account or Account Name. At no time should you respond to an online request for a password other than in connection with the log-on process to the Service. Your disclosure of your password to any other person is at your own risk." I don't, however, think that was ever in dispute.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4536 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.