example of 'mimicking' a Cell Shading effect using Mesh

Loki Eliot

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3777 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I got that outline effect on my giga pudding model.

Snapshot_001.png

What I did in Blender 2.59 is in object mode, Shift+D to duplicate the model, right-click to place the model at its original location, TAB into edit mode, press A to select all vertices, then go to the left panel (T to open) and select shrink/fatten. Fatten to desired outline thickness. Press W to open the specials menu and flip normals. Go to the right panel (N to open) and under Display, make sure textured solid is checked. The outline effect should now be visible and now there's just the matter of coloring how ever you want.

EDIT: AND YES I KNOW MY GIGA PUDDI MODEL IS IP INFRINGEMENT. This was just- ...um... an upload test. Yeah, that's it. :matte-motes-dont-cry:

• Like 2

Kwakkelde Kwak wrote:

Didn't you see the video? That looks like cell shading, whether it's how it's done for movies or not.....

I won't get involved in a discussion about a word, all I can say it looks great Loki...especially the first one in the vid.

I've been hesitant to reply since you say you don't want to argue about it and I don't want to either. However I think this quote from the wikipedia page sums it up.

"Popularly, this "ink" outline applied to animation and games is what’s called cel shading, while originally the term referred to the shading technique, regardless of whether outline is being applied or not."

It's called cel shading, not object outlining. It's a technique for lighting objects in a in a non physically accurate manor for artistic reasons.

• 2 years later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3777 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.