Traffic # calculation change?

Jahman Ochs

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4055 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

This has nothing to do with 'bots - and I have the numbers to prove it. They've totally changed the algorythm by which traffic is calculated, and I can show that change graphically based on statistics I've been collecting for the Pando region for over a year and a half.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And the bottom line is this: everybody knows the "All" search yields funky results that are inscrutable. The only way to judge performance of a parcel based on their keywords is through relative traffic #s. Now, if the baseline is going to change, that's fine - but to have it change without any warning is hubris of the highest level. "Let's see what *else* we can do to make the foundation of this system unusable by the core participants" seems to be the driving question at Linden Labs for the past two years.

I haven't read all the thread but I think someone did suggest that it may be a change in the way that traffic is calculated, so I'll suggest one possibility that would make very good sense to me.

The introduction of "scripted agents", and the banning of traffic gaming, didn't stop traffic from being gamed. Leaving non-scripted agent bots aside, place owners routinely park themselves, alts, etc. on the land to improve the traffic number. So suppose that someone at LL decided to deal with that, by changing the traffic programming to only count nn number of minutes per av, either per day, or per visit (per visit would be a much simpler change). If an av is on the parcel less than nn minutes, all its minutes count and, if an av is on the parcel more than nn minutes, it only counts for nn minutes. To my way of thinking, that would be much fairer than it has been, and it would largely negate the type of "legal" gaming that continues.

I've no idea if that possibility fits the evidence though. Some experimenting would be worthwhile.

Last Tuesday (11/15/2011) our club traffic was over 7900. Then it dropped significantly down to the 2k mark the next day. As of yesterday (a week later), it was at roughtly 1900 (that's with a concert that we had on Sunday). Today, we're back over the 7k mark. So it would seem to me that this issue is being taken care of.  We may not get any answers as to what, where, why or how; nor will we always get the answers and results that we like in a timely manner; however, I am happy knowing that the issue is being taken care of.

Planned Hardware Maintenance Monday, November 21st, 2011

[Posted 2:38 PM PST, 21 November 2011] In order to address the issue described in this blog post, we will be performing maintenance on a section of our hardware. This maintenance will occur at 7:00 a.m. PST on Tuesday November 22nd.  Some regions may be restarted during maintenance.  Please monitor this blog for updates. http://status.secondlifegrid.net/category/slgridstatus/  

ack

Resolved] Planned Hardware Maintenance

Tuesday, November 22nd, 2011

[Resolved 7:09 AM PST, 22 November 2011] Today’s planned hardware maintenance has been postponed until a later date. Please monitor this blog for additional updates regarding this maintenance.

[Posted 2:38 PM PST, 21 November 2011] In order to address the issue described in this blog post, we will be performing maintenance on a section of our hardware. This maintenance will occur at 7:00 a.m. PST on Tuesday November 22nd.  Some regions may be restarted during maintenance.  Please monitor this blog for updates.

Traffic Reporting Issue

Monday, November 21st, 2011

[postED 10:15AM 21 November 2011] We are aware of an issue with parcel traffic reporting and are currently working on resolving this issue. We will update this blog with more information as it becomes available.

• 1 year later...

Has the traffic calculation engine stopped working. The traffic on my sim has been static for a week now, and I have asked a friend on another sim, and it seems their traffic is static too. It is not just in my "About Land" it is also in the search function too, that this static figure appears

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4055 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.