The resident who provided the previous content, if any, has replaced it with this generic statement.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4564 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

LOL Melita -- me either. 

I think it is that webpage connected to profiles.  (A customer sent me messages through it the other day, but I don't like that because with IMs I can search my computer for the logs of conversations to refresh my memory of previous conversations.)  I don't even know how to get to it, much less change settings.

Qwal you make an excellent point (or two) about the Lab and their unwillingness/inability to document anything. Time and again they create some new shiny feature, post a brief blog about it describing it in very superficial terms and then leave us to figure out how to use it. If we're lucky, assuming it's a major feature, we may get a technical explanation buried somewhere in a wiki article or a Torley video some time later.

Oh, and in the case of these new web features they seem to have a penchant for adding them with the default state set to 'on' so that if we want to opt out we have to: a.) know that they exist and b.) explicitly turn them 'off'. Not good in terms of privacy, IMO.

Those of us who are more dedicated info gatherers usually learn about these new shinies via dedicated forum/blog/review site reading or poking around but, the average person probably has no clue that any of this stuff even exists. That's bad from a privacy standpoint in the case of these web based services but, on a more fundamental level, how much sense does it make for the Lab to devote resources to develop these features when no one knows about them and therefore, doesn't use them? Further, even if people find the features how are they supposed to learn how to use them when there's little, if any, documentation on them?

Come on LL, this isn't rocket science. You've been around long enough to do a far better job than this. SL is not some fresh out of beta, free-to-play browser game. It's a mature, dynamic, and very sophisticated (complex) sandbox-style virtual world and as such demands proper documentation and proper communication with your customers.

Wow, I used the feed thing very early on! I commented on someones comment somewhere...I can't even remember how I ended up at thier feed page thingy but laughed....commented and then left it. I commented on some others to see how it worked and then forgot about it! I Know the avatars who Iposted on, aside from teh first, will get rid of it or turn it off etc. But, I learned about the settings and set them mostly to off. I will forget to check the feeds, I am showing my SL age here because I am used to IM and notecards....wow, reminds me about email forwarding settings to. That is handy. I used to put a message machine in my store by each display with an offer of allowing them to demo the stuff...all they had to do was leave a message with name and time they are available...even that seemed to be either uninterestiing or simply, while I stood in teh store an observed once...well, it was simply click it because you can....then say nothing and carry on shopping lol. It was like...try it and walk off....I ended up doing the same with feeds! lol. This is my theory of why customer support is so quit for my products, besides few sales and I tried to make it all 'just work' with a nifty 'Help' button that has a manual and FAQ. I stuck with many traditional controls and scripting features so most will at least be able to use the very default settings and get around with that alone for a bit, and if they are bored or encounter something tricky...they might explore. Now, I just have themenu drop down the second they sit down! Right there, all the buttons and settings...easy to get from first rez...I mean, if they speak english lol. So, my planning is in there.....but serously, no one is used to using tech support...things are cheap. I ask people if they recieved a partial failed delivery they bought recently...they do not know! They have to search in inventory because they don't know...they said they have never rezzed it but most likely recieved it lol.

One person paid twice by accident due to a mouse click error....I contacted them to refund at least days later...I don't remember getting any IM ornotecard and I had light IM's or messages that week.....totally wierd. In fact, it might have been more than a week later. Either way, they never bothered to ask. Where they used to merchants and builder people not responding? So, if we did respond....we might get a several fold increase in requests...or at least double? Yikes, some people would be upset indeed!

So, we all seem to have this inertia that pushes us along...sad stuff really. But...yeah, I turned off the feed thingy. I don't socialize much but thought it was a convenient way to sort of send a quick notice of events and observations and control my flurry of typing and storm of badly spelled and limited verbage. Nah. If I can't remember it even exists or attempt to use it at least a few more times in a few months...well...I guess I am to set in my ways so...turn it off! lol.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4564 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.