Cartoony Characters and Cyber-bullying?

Soroshi Zulaman

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4594 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Hello, one and all. I have a serious problem. You see, people are calling my av "Ugly" and "Cartoony", I get asked to change my avy before even being talked to, and also I am banned from certain areas, all because I have a Yoshi avy. In my travels around the Second Life world, I have had almost nothing but constant bullying. It's a rare wonder why there are very few Yoshies and other video game characters. I guess this would also be considered racist, too. The Mobian character's like ones based off of Tails and others are also looked down upon too. I am sure that if something is not done soon, there may be a big case of cyber-bullying, because that is what it is.
Best of luck and high hopes,
Soroshi.

4 answers to this question

I guess you can stack up all sorts of reasons for being one of the down trodden.  It won't get you anywhere but you can do it anyway............I guess it's some comfort to be "abused". 

Or you can just go on with your SL life as anyone you choose to be in SL.  If others don't like it then so what?  You are not here for their pleasure.........or are you?  SL is huge............I mean really huge.  Find places where you are taken for what you want to be taken.  Getting banned is no big deal.........most everyone here in these forums has been banned at one time or another.  I have..........sometimes I deserved it, but mostly I was banned for unknown reasons.  It didn't faze me one iota.............I just moved on. 

Am I special?  Well, to me, yeah I am........also a few friends think I am too.  To most everyone else in SL I'm just another slightly attractive, somewhat sexy looking avatar...........the couldn't care less about me.  :matte-motes-big-grin:

Hello, this is a questions and answers section of the forums. 

I would say, stay away from welcome areas, the people there mostly are just there to harass others. Also, if you have a cartoonie type avatar in places where everyone is relatively regular looking, they might think you are there to cause problems. I would suggest that you stay away from places where your choice of avatar disturbs everyone there.

If you are seeking an open forum to discuss bullying and avatar rights, I suggest the Avatar or General Discussion Forum.

ps, this has nothing to do with racism which is a very real issue that has absolutely nothing to do with being a cartoon character in a cartoon world.

Cyber-bulling is a real life crime that is judged in a courtroom.  If you think that making fun of your make believe avatar is a real life crime then you need to hire a real life lawyer and contact the real life police.  Otherwise, you need to deal with the issue with the tools provided in SL for reporting griefing and harrassment.

Your attempt to equate avatar griefing with cyber-bullying is an insult to the victims of the crime and the families that have lost love ones because of it.  You should be ashamed.

--Cinn

Most people prefer to have as "realistic" an avatar as possible, whether that is human-realistic, or some nonhuman creature.  However, some people LIKE a 2-dimensional, "cartoon" type avatar.  It's all a matter of personal choice. I will say that, as a rule of thumb, the people who use avatars with a "cartoony" appearance are often griefers and troublemakers, which might account for your unfriendly reception.

If you like anime avatars, have a look for anime groups, join one, and hang out with like-minded people.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4594 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.