Shoe Attachments

Lady Darmoset

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4585 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So I am making some flat boots for a halloween costume. They're mesh, and they're done being built save for the texture. I was testing them out to see how they fit in SL and the best way to attach them was at the lower leg. I do plan to sell these, but before I go any further I wanted to know if people prefer their shoes to attach to the actual foot then have the upper calf part attach to the lower leg, so you have two separate pieces, or rather have the boot be one whole piece.

Here's a pic to show what I did. So I guess what I want to know is if it's easier for people to have boots in two parts, or one part, and which attachment they prefer?Shoe_001.jpg

My opinion is one part, especially mesh. Seems like with mesh you don't need that extra "joint," so why have it? Much more seamless without.

As for attachment, I think lower leg is fine, generally. I prefer it ever since a recent experience where my shoes came "detached" at the ankles in a no-script area, because of the ankle-lock script. I'm sure there are downsides, but there are downsides either way, so...

Chelsea Malibu wrote:

You really can't put them on your foot as they will move through your legs when you walk.

How about if the mesh boots are rigged?

It would be nice if the boot would bend naturally with the ankle, just like in real life. If it would go above the knee, then it needs to bend with the knee too.

Rigid non bending boot is not very natural after all.

Ariel Vuissent wrote:

I have a pair of mesh one-piece boots that attach to the lower leg, and quite like them. They do move with the ankle, which is nice. (Slink has a pair that are thigh-high, and presumably also move with the leg, but I don't know how many pieces they are or where they attach.)

Ok, this shows that naturally bending mesh boots must be rigged. Rigging makes them to follow the avatar bone movements and rotations. As a side note, rigged items can be attached anywhere on avatar, the rigging takes care that they always appear in the right place when worn.

Rigged mesh boots: They bend with the avatar skeleton, they cannot be resized.

Non-rigged mesh boots: They are rigid, they don't bend (just like sculpted boots), they can be resized.

PS

The problem that rigged items do not fit all avatars will be solved quite soon as the Mesh Cothing Parametric Deformer Project has reached its funding goal.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4585 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.