2 friends own a shop together...then split up

Coyote1 Wylie

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4603 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

It entirely depends on what, if any license or agreement was in place.  If they didn't have anything that is legally enforceable, and the one person gave them items full perm, there may not be much they can do about it and I doubt the Lindens will either.  However if there was a legally enforceable agreement or license, and this violates specific terms of it, then they can file a DMCA notice with LL and take it to RL court.

Never enter into a business arrangement with anyone, no matter how much you trust them, or give items to anyone full perm unless you also give a very specific license outlining exactly what the terms were.  Otherwise you may end up in a situation such as this.

Unfortunately giving something full perm to anyone without a legal license spelling out specifically what can be done with it means that the new owner can pretty much do what they want with it.  The burden of proof that this is not true falls on the creator.  All proofs must be rock solid too or the request will be denied.  Here is a link concerning the DMCA and what LL will do and not do and how to file a DMCA notice:

DMCA: Digital Millennium Copyright Act

I think you both have the right to sell even though the intellectual property really belongs to the creator.

Presumably if we were to ask the ex partner he would say something like 'well he made the stuff, but I paid for the land and did all the marketing' or something similar, so unless you had something in writing or the items in question are particularly valuable I think I would give up on them.

Innovate your way out of this situation, you are the creator, go forth and create, remake these things but make them better, and make some more stuff besides, if your ex partner doesn't make stuff he can get no bigger, a few weeks with your nose to the grindstone and you can leave him miles behind.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4603 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.