Video Interview With Rod Humble

design3video

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4579 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Glad to have been able to spark some discussion here :)

Re: the audio, agreed, very much sounds like it was recorded in a bathroom. If we catch up with Rod again sometime I personally will make sure the audio is spot on ;)

I know this is inconvenient, but if you want to see the full version of the interview question by question, you can on our site with a free account. I know signups suck, but if you're curious enough:

http://www.design3.com/interviews/2011/rod-humble-linden-lab

Have a good one, everyone.

Pat

design3.com

Vladi Hazelnut wrote:

I used to work for a computer store, and had I had shown up to work looking that way they would have fired me. And I rarely left the back room lol.

I work for a computer/electronics company...and..we wear T-shirts, jeans, and sandals, etc.  My job is more techie related, but even the employees who work on the front-lines in our retail stores and interact directly with the customer's, wear T-shirts...and yeah sometimes look a little scruffy.

Vladi Hazelnut wrote:

OK after doing some research online and watching a ton of videos of different hardware and software employees I guess I will retract my statements. I even watched the south park special where it followed them for 6 days before air. From the looks of it I guess the times are just changing and things are more laid back and casual.

I am not sure if that is a good thing or bad, but it is happening none the less.

I guess I am just old lol. Sorry for slamming on you Rod. I will agree its rather bias of me to base your abilities on your appearance. But I come from a time where first impressions are important.

I used to work for a computer store, and had I had shown up to work looking that way they would have fired me. And I rarely left the back room lol.

But, dude, could you at least shave for an interview? Even if it is some crappy webcast thing lol. It would help us old farts see you in a better light wink.

Thank you very kind! You are right about the shaving thing. My wife berates me daily :matte-motes-big-grin:

JeanRicard Broek wrote:

Rod: Thanks for engaging.

Just wanted to share the work of so many talented artists over the past 4 years . Here is a link.. Sit back, put on some music , get a glass of wine, and be amazed. The collection is of work from approx 2000 SL residents, with 2400 SL snapshots & images.

<Note this is Artistic but PG content, so safe

I would hope LL could reimage itself & feature the resident talent that abounds already in SL (see above) rather then a SIMs look alike image it now protrays SL as on it's website.

Thanks again

JR

Wow, just wow. Thank you so much for this. Amazing stuff. You are right we can and should show how great SL is in our promo materials.

Wow  http://www.flickr.com//groups/secondlife-bestofthebest/pool/show/ 

That is SL in a nutshell. That is our present, future and where it, (SL), leaves everything else for dead.

There should be some sort of "cherished artist/creator" formal category. Judged/chaired by people in industry and not affiliated with the labs or residents somehow. Then the labs could ask to use that content to show SL at its best.

How very nice to see our Wirtual Vorld leader comment on issues. Ty.

The continuous spam is bad. I've volunteered to help moderate it, and others have offered also. If allowed I would have removed 100s of spams already. Can some of us help you, Rodvik?

lolcat55.jpg

I have a team of specially trained lolcats ready to go on your command.

If you can... please also let us know when the OS Critical Upgrade will be completed? I understand how something like this is needed but fear the constant banging on things is hurting concurrency.

It stayed below 60000 all day today :matte-motes-stress:

I'm looking forward to when SL is launched properly into the world with the much needed in store, on the shelf, on your mobile device kind of activity. There is a lot of creativity here and Linden Lab has the power to share it with the world.

All that entertainment & experience is built & waiting for them to enjoy :matte-motes-sunglasses-3:

I couldn't agree with you more Void.  SL is not a game, at one end it's a platform for visionaries and virtual enthusiasts and at the other a unique area for fantasists and socialites.  As you say, if a suit were the CEO they would be looking for the most efficient way to get an extra buck out of all us.

With Rod I sense we've got someone who understands why we are all here and what the attraction of SL is to all of us.  Hopefully his aims are to enhance that core attraction and to add to it what "we" require, and tidy up some of the mess left by previous incumbents.  It's also encouraging that he's looking in on our discussions and at least seeing some of the complaints and suggestions.

I've just spent nearly an hour watching a lecture/presentation that he gave at

where he showed a very critical insight into the power of the games media and posed questions as to how that could be harnessed for the benefit of its users.  Whatever else it showed it demonstrated that he understood this virtual world we choose to inhabit and the kind of users that we are.  I'm sure that LL has enough people in its ranks and in its shareholders to keep the company profitable and to advise on such matters, but I for one am glad that we have one of our own ilk deciding what's best for SL and its users (crosses fingers that I won't have to come back and apologise for this post in a year).

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4579 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.