Question I have windows 7

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4579 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Question I have windows 7 on my laptop ( I got it in June ) I always had PC and had XP I would like to re dl phoenix . I keep deleting phoenix and going to search and deleting all in there before I re down it . Seems the same dl keeps coming back all my settings and skins ( phoenix skins ) are still the same . ive did a cc cleaner also . Im seeing some problems with boxes I am building  and thought id re do phoenix and seems windows 7 or my new HP lap top lets phoenix stay same with all my personalized settings . Is this what its suppose to do? Since its a lap top or windows 7? .. oh plus I guess sl is doing new mesh stuff and is why were all having issues with some thing still not loading in . Taking longer ??

Rolig Loon i had done that and it still happens is what is so wild about it guess its stuck or my lap top saves my preferences i went to uninstall phoenix and i typed in my seach and delted all phoenix too and re dl new phoenix .

I NO ONLY HAD WINDOWS ON MY PC THIS IS A LAP TOP . .. CHAROLET I DID THAT BUT YOU DIDNT FIND REST OF THE WAY WHAT DO I DO THEN IM IN THE LAST PART HON

• Like 1

12 answers to this question

If you are still seeing your old personalized settings after you re-install any viewer, then you aren't doing a clean reinstall.  The user settings are all in the APPDATA folders that used to be in Documents & Settings when you were using Windows XP.  You have to remove those too, not just the viewer files that are in C:\Programs.  To do a proper clean re-install for Phoenix, see >> http://wiki.phoenixviewer.com/doku.php?id=clean_reinstall

Rolig's suggestion should remove all the left over files after your uninstall.  Try it again and then after you've deleted the files manually reboot your computer.  In fact do a complete shut down of the computer, wait a couple minutes and restart.  Install your freshly downloaded copy of Pheonix (since you are also using another viewer move the cache loacation to another location on your computer before you run Pheonix for the first time).  That should take you to the default settings for Pheonix.

Sparkle Mocha wrote:

Rolig Loon i had done that and it still happens is what is so wild about it guess its stuck or my lap top saves my preferences i went to uninstall phoenix and i typed in my seach and delted all phoenix too and re dl new phoenix .

Well, you're not removing everything, then.  Your Preference settings are stored in two locations (for Local and Roaming settings).  If you are still having trouble, I'd suggest posting your question in the in-world Phoenix/Firestorm users' support group.  They always have support staff there who are better prepared to answer specific Phoenix questions than we are here.

• Like 1

On my Windows 7 PC the appdata folders are hidden folders. I have to choose view hidden folders in order to delete them.

Control panel > appearance and personalization > show hidden files and folders

Edit, hi. Once you have enabled view hidden folders, you can then delete the appdata files like Peggy and Rolig said to do.

Windows 7: C:\Users\[uSERNAME]\AppData\Roaming\SecondLife

http://wiki.phoenixviewer.com/doku.php?id=clean_reinstall

I know, the reason I pointed it out is because the same thing happened to me, I thought I had removed all traces of SL from my system, only to realize there were hidden files! I too, now just keep them all visible. They still show as kind of transparent though, so I know not to mess with them...too much :)

I have always kept hidden files visible on any machine I have owned since the 1980s, too. I know the idea is to keep idiots from screwing around with files that might bork their entire system, but it's a real nuisance for most of us. It's Microsoft's version of LL's Basic viewer mode -- a system with training wheels.

Hello Sparkle. The folders you have to delete for a clear uninstall is:

C: \ Users \ (USER NAME) \ ApplData \ Local \ PhoenixViewer

(In XP located C: \ Documents and Settings \ (USER NAME)\ Local Settings \ Application Data \ PhoenixViewer)

and C: \ Users \ (USER NAME) \ AppData \ Roaming \ SecondLife

(In XP located C: \ Documents and Settings \ (USER NAME)\ Local Settings \ Application Data \ Second Life)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4579 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.