Let's stop the forum spammers, I offer to help.

WADE1 Jya

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4650 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Here we are again, the forum is full of spam. It usually is full of spam now.

spam-spam-spam.jpg

If I was granted moderator permissions, I would delete it myself.

I hereby volunteer for this task, and I am sure several others would be happy to step forward & help as well.

Watch this TV show.

Watch that TV show.

Please Linden Lab, can you stop the spammers?

The volume of daily spam here is getting insane.

Aside from adding more moderators, does anyone have some technical know-how to put forward a sensible proposal Lindens could enact?

There are all kinds of experts in various things on this forum, perhaps we can use the power of the crowd to solve this problem.

WADE1 Jya wrote:

[...] If I was granted moderator permissions, I would delete it myself.

I hereby volunteer for this task, and I am sure several others would be happy to step forward & help as well. [...]

good luck with that... LL is highly resistant to putting regular users in any position of power, mostly because of a crowd of whiny what if's (despite the fact that it worked quite well before)

[...] Aside from adding more moderators, does anyone have some technical know-how to put forward a sensible proposal Lindens could enact?

tons, they've all been stated a million times, but LL isn't interested in the basic solutions, because they have minor drawbacks. their hosting service isn't interested in providing them, because it doesn't make them any profit over using brute force "more manpower" methodology and praying that the wallet won't run dry before the spammers give up.

Stopping Spam is a hard thing to do in Popular Forums. LL would have to block China Domains and annonomous proxies and top spamming domains for the most part and that would hurt their business. Most spam comes from China IPS. not all But a very very large portion..

They seem to do a pretty good job at cleaning up the spam. We just have to understand it is gonna happen and do our best to report it..

Many forums use tools Like FASSIM and or StopForumspam.com. or ZBblock but I feel if they used something like that they could take a big risk on blocking innocent people because of being such a world wide forum. Spam is going to happen. The "Spam bot" cat and mouse game never ends. And stopping human spammers is tough as well.. Gotta love those proxies lol

Kylie Jaxxon wrote:

Dilbert Dilweg wrote:

Stopping Spam is a hard thing to do in Popular Forums.

IDK...I've been in a lot of
popular forums
over the years and have never seen the magnitude of what is here
:(

i agree..the only time i see it like this  is when a forum i was in was being attacked by griefers ..and that was only a couple of times in some gamer forums..

lots of gross pictures and tons of spammer sites links just loading up the place..then usually it was hacked..

this and i would say the forums before these are what reminds me of those other forums getting attacked hehehehe

Hehe thanks Kylie! Its just me and Natsuko stomping around in the old robot cat. You know... another typical day in SL :smileyvery-happy:

Looks like Ceka is on patrol knockin some of them spammers down!  :matte-motes-sunglasses-1:  Nicely done!

Look at the forum now, here's our daily delivery! Another truckload of spam delivered fresh today.

Watch blah blah blah blah

SPAM Truck_full.jpg

This forum has lots of people on it, but it isn't all that popular.... I'm on forums for lots of various things, both bigger forums & smaller forums - but never seen as much spam as here.

Actually, I don't recall seeing a continuous spam infestation anywhere else, or seeing much spam at all in other forums.

I'm around this forum lots anyway and could just clear it out multiple times a day, no problem. Hey Lindens, what do ya say?

In my opinion, Godaddy gets paid, doubleclick, the movie producer, the isp, the computer manufacturer and the electrical power company all get paid. Spam is a win win situation for those companies. Each of the companies listed including Lithium could take a more aggressive stance against spam by making it easier to report. The caller ID for a website is to hide the contact us page or to not even have one. They don't want to be contacted about a profitable problem.

.........................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Some Fun out of context  Lithium facts:

Lithium is known to be responsible for significant amounts of weight gain

Lithium treatment is used to treat mania

ma·ni·a [ máynee ə ]   1.obsession: an excessive and intense interest in or enthusiasm for something
2.psychiatric disorder: a psychiatric disorder characterized by excessive physical activity, rapidly changing ideas, and impulsive behavior

Lithium is a well known cause of nystagmus

nys·tag·mus [ ni stágməss ]   1.involuntary movement of eyeball: an involuntary rhythmic movement of the eyes, usually from side to side, caused by some illnesses that affect the nerves and muscle behind the eyeball

The most common side effects of over use of Lithium are an overall dazed feeling and a fine hand tremor.Other common side effects, such as nausea and headache, can be generally remedied by a higher intake of water.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4650 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.