Strange "clear" glow artifact around shoes. why?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4604 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello,

Recently, I purchased an outfit that contained high heel shoes as part of the outfit.

I like them, but there is a strange glow around them, and I am not too sure how to alter it?

Does anyone know what I mean about that "clear" looking glow around the shoe?

I'll take a pic if that helps.

Any comments or suggestions would be most appreciated. Im savvy with editing, i just dont know how/where to start.

thanks,

Mouse

It's possible that the designer decided to apply glow to the texture on the shoes (Dorothy's ruby slippers, maybe?). I can't imagine why s/he would do that, but people do lots of odd things. If you have mod perms, you ought to be able to edit them and uncheck glow, if that's the case. 

Oh, ok, thanks! I'll look for the "glow" perameter. But i might not be explaining my problem accurately though. Nothing is really "glowing" per se, but more like a clear halo, or ...its just too hard to describe, since what i am trying to describe ~isnt~ really there.

To my eye, it looks like an alpha sorting issue at first glance.

I think i'll just junk the shoes and get some others that dont have the strange effect around them.

Thank you everyone for all of your comments. I love this forum. You are all so helpful!  :-)

Cheers!

~mouse

WooHoo!  I bet that's it, Charolotte.  A lot of newbies have never seen anything with invisiprims. They aren't common in shops any more.

@OP -- If that's what it is, and if you shoes are no-mod, contact the creator and ask for a version with an alpha layer instead.  If you do have mod perms, though, just remove the invisiprims and use the alpha layer that you got with a similar style of shoes, or one that you made yourself.

Thanks Charolotte!!

I read that link you posted. that sounds like the culprit. The shoes are no modify, so I will contact the original creator, as you have suggested, Rolig.

Thank you both. I'll see what happens.

cheers

~Mouse

Hey Rolig,

I just looked at the outfit and it turns out that the shoes can be modified! 

So (please indulge a newbie) ...what perameter do i need to change/delete so that the "clear" effect goes away?

Thanks again, so much!!

~Mouse

So, you're saying that if I select the shoes, then select "edit", I should be able to find and select the invisiprim , yes?

And then just resize it.

Ive never created or added an alpha layer, but i ~think~ i understand what you're saying.

thanks a mill!

~Mouse

You have to remove the invisiprims themselves.  It's not very hard but it's a little scary if you've never done much like this before. So....

(1) First step ... Make a copy of each shoe.  That way if you screw up, you always have a backup in inventory.

(2) Next, find a nice, plain flat surface to rez a shoe on so that it doesn't get lost in the grass.

(3) Open your Edit tool (CTRL + 3) and click on the shoe to highlight it. 

(4) Type CTRL + Alt + T to highlight transparent prims.  The invisiprims (probably more than one) will be around the heel and sole of the shoe.

(5) Click the Edit Selected Link button in the top section of your Edit window, and click on one of the invisiprims to select just that one.

(6) Type Shift + CTRL + L to UNlink it from the rest of the shoe. 

(7) Keep your fingers crossed and hit the delete button on your keyboard.  The invisiprim should vanish, and the rest of your shoe shouldn't.

(8) Repeat the steps above until you have removed all invisiprims from both shoes.

That should do it. Of course, if you wear the shoes now, you'll see the gross ugly parts of your feet that were hidden by the invisiprims.  That's why you need to get an alpha clothing layer for your feet, to make those ugly parts invisible again. Unless you really want to learn how to make your own, I suggest just wearing an alpha layer that you got with another pair of shoes, or shopping in Marketplace for a freebie package of them.

Of course, if the creator tells you that s/he'll be glad to send you a pair that has already been modified, you can save yourself all of this work..... :smileytongue:

ETA:  You could also just shrink each invisiprim, as Void suggested, but that will leave you with unnecessary invisible prims in your shoes.  It's no more work to just get rid of them than to shrink them.

• Like 2

Howdy, Dogmouse!

When you go into Edit on your shoe, check the box that says "Edit Linked Parts."  Then click on just the invisiprim.  From there, you can either check "stretch" and use the colored boxes surrounding it or change the size in the dimensions boxes on the left.  If it were me, I'd be tempted to delete the invisiprim all together.  I hjave a couple of pairs of Redgrave shoes myself that used to do that.  They don't anymore, let me just say.  Heheh.

Miss Rolig beat me to the punch.  :-)

• Like 1

Oh oh oh!!!!!   FANTASTIC!!    I understand!!!  :matte-motes-big-grin:

Thank you SO MUCH for that wonderful tutorial, Rolig!! 

And I think i have an alpha layer that came with some shoes that I bought from NCore, so I'll try using those.

Thank you too, Marcus. It looks like you're on top of it too!! 

Cheers you guys!     Really, thanks. Your help is making my SL experience that much more enjoyable!

~Mouse

Ah.. That's a good point, Void.  I don't happen to own any shoes where an invisiprim is the root, but that's possible.  Personally, I'd be fearless about doing shoe surgery anyway, but that's me.  For the OP, .... well, she was considering tossing the shoes anyway, so what's to lose?  :smileysurprised::smileyhappy:

may not be as common with shoe/boots, but it was rampant with digitigrade legs... to the point that I wrote a script to get a specific childs prim position in relation to the attach point so that I could reset it as the root (seriously... first try I spent over any hour realigning those things by hand)

Ok, here is the problem that I am having with this:

Im following your tutorial, Rolig, but after i delete the invisiprims, the shoes remain (which is good), but when I wear them, they attach themselves to my wrists.   :-(

Additionally, I think that i need to "relink" the various components of the shoe before I tried to wear them. I am presuming this was a correct step (relinking, that is). each shoe has about 6 parts to it.

I will try resizing them instead of deleting them and see if that works better.

~Mouse

LOL ..... That's the problem that Void was warning about, and which I said was not likely to happen.  Hehe ... So I was wrong.  One of the invisiprims was the root prim after all.  Well, no loss, but it does mean a little more work for you.

You don't have to relink anything, since you only unlinked the invisiprims as you were deleting them, not the rest of the shoe.  So now you have two shoes without invisiprims.  Now ...

(1) Find yourself a pose stand and stand on it.

(2) Find one of the shoes in your inventory.  Right click and select "Attach to ..." and then attach to the correct foot.

(3) It will be in a wonky orientation, so use your Edit tools (the colored arrows and circles) to put it on your foot properly.

Henceforth, when you wear that shoe it will attach to the proper foot in the proper orientation.

Wasn't this fun?

Understood.

Question:  What is the purpose of a pose stand? does it make my avatar motionless, is that why?

Also, can I "buy" a pose stand, and bring it to my home?

Where would you suggest i look for this pose stand, if i am not able to buy one?

~mouse

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4604 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.