Newbie here looking for mature friends

BuddaOnSL

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4595 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello I'm just a bit over a month old on SL and I find it a very interesting place to be when you're trying to do something different with your time other than spend money.  Since I've been on SL I have been at multiple group sponsored functions where they encourage you to spend L$'s.  LOL  In the beginning I didn't see it as an issue given the exchange rate, but at the end of the day money is money and spending L$'s at parties night after night eventually will add up.  Not to mention I have not figured out how to program my dance hud so I can just turn it on and focus on other things, so I'm there watching my avatar from behind doing this dance and that dance and trying to keep up with the music.  Right now I'm all partied out and looking for other activities to engage in.

I do belong to a poetry troop that is on SL called NippsPoeticNook and there are different events I participate in with that group and I have a hobby radio station in RL that I tried to bring to SL only to discover SL doesn't need another DJ or Radio station.  LOL 

In addition to the above, I became fascinated with building in SL and enjoy it a great deal.  In fact a lot of my time has been spend putting properties together.  Right-now I have a total of 5 parcels (don't ask why)  I am not big into renting but I share my space with friends who need a private space on SL to do their thing.  I have a fun zone too with bumper cars, bowling, jetskis, poker, spades, hearts, a dance floor and dj booth for parties.  As I write all this down it really sounds like I've done way too much.  RL is just a busy.  LOL. 

In general I'm a person who enjoys fun in SL or RL.  When I don't get to the city (NYC) I will likely be on SL.  If you're looking to meet a fun guy hit me up.

P.S..  I'm not into the "Be My Boo" game so please don't approach me with the nonsense.

Finding other mature people can be a bit of a challenge. For much of my first year here I had one oasis that was well run, played good music and attracted many like minded people. The use of overdone gestures and over produced music was kept to a minimum, and it was just a great place to hang and talk about anything and everything. Sadly they closed a few weeks back after operating for several years.

Sounds to me like you need to take one of your parcels and open your own club......lol. If you do, let us know. I'll be happy to drop by.

Ha Ha the last thing I want to do is open up a business on SL.  I'd rather provide a service at no charge because I cant deal with a paying public and their demands in RL and could imagine it to be worse in SL. 

But feel free to drop in on my fun zone anytime.  No lag on the bumper cars and its loads of fun.

ebutterfield wrote:

I have a slight advatage in that I'm a software professional in RL and these concepts are second nature to me.  II hear they have a group called NCI that teaches building classes. 

BTW thanks for replying.

I feel a bit less like an idiot now, thanks ^^  I have been watching on the events page for a class or two I could take, since my inworld search hates me and won't work.

Feel free to IM me, if maturity isnt a sticking point lol.

Hi Ya

I've been a member for a while but have not really used Sl until recently. I am interested in the poetry events you mentioned. It would be nice to connect with mature peopel like yourself and see what its like to be in SL and be able to talk to someone, other than wonder SL great places alone LOL.

Send me a message of your location and when you are next in world.

NIA

Hi there :) 

I didn't even know this forum existed, but I think it's pretty neat.

I just started playing Second Life again and I have made a few friends.  It's really hard because almost everyone I see is coupled off and I'm very bad at breaking the ice.  I also fear facing the same challenges I did a few years ago.  I love talking to people and I'd love to go dancing or just hang out.  I've been shopping too much and I don't want that to define what second life is for me.  I'm not familiar where to go anymore for the hot spots so I'm not to sure where to find some people.  It's so hard now because men do talk to me, but it's always about sex.  I wish I saw that maturity, I want to build a relationship and then we will talk the dirty haha!

Needless to say, I'm glad your looking for a mature relationship with a friend.  I'm kinda clueless as what to do next, I havn't found out what I want to do yet in Second Life, but so far it's a little lonely!!  

^_^ Welcome to second life and I hope I can talk to you!

-Cheyenne

Unfortunately sex is a big thing on SL and its a topic you are often confronted with but people forget there are other subjects.  I find most of the goups are not so much about chatting then they are established for advertising.  Fortunately I am not on SL as a vendor or someone trying to sell their wares.  I'm just here for the social aspects.  What I am trying to do is build a community of mature and positive minded people inside of SL by skirting the topics of sex and romance and concentrating on building, home and community living, arts, and culture.  The diversity that exists in the game, there is great opportunities for such communities to exist.

I would argue that sex can be a perfectly fine topic of conversation, depending on the content. I can have perfectly mature conversations on the subject that do not desolve into half-coherent and cliche pickup lines.

I suspect the subject comes up so much on SL because people can talk about things they would normally be ashamed of if they had to do it as themselves. SL allows people who would normally be cowards about the subject to speak about it from behind the shield of an avatar. I personally talk on SL the same damn way I do in my first life, but not everyone has that ability to over come fear in real life. (Which is a pity)

But people should learn there is a difference between expressing views on sex/sexual encounters/fantasys... and going up to random people looking for a cyber**bleep** -shrug-

I like the rawness of your reply Bandito.  But what other topics can you discuss with the same passion?  That is what I was tryng to convey in my last post.  Is sex the only universal topic we can easily jump to when around strangers?  And oh how I do know about those whose sexual prowess in SL outmatches their RL personna.

But I just like you bring my RL personality to the table here in SL.

Thanks again for the reply.

I just posted something similar yesterday "clubs and shopping, is that all there is?" I too am looking for something more mature, culturally involved and cool, interesting people to chat with. SL has been a little boring and lonely for me lately even though I know there are a ton of things to find and do. Just last night i was dancing with a dude and within 2 minutes he hit me up for sex. :matte-motes-confused:

If you're inworld please look me up - I'd love to hang out with you all! 

~Elle

ebutterfield wrote:

Hey there NiaSilk saw you stopped by yesterday.  I was outside on the boardwalk.  There is a poetry event Saturday at 4PM SL time.  I will send you the info when I'm in world.

Hi Ya Ebutterfield , when I stopped by warning messages started popping up saying I had trespassed on private property and if I did not leave I would be forced to OMG I teleported out of there quick time LOL LOL. Did not know what else to do. So when I come check you again what should I do when all those aggressive messages start bombarding my screen lol lol.

I did not know SL had its own time zone, shows how much I know. Will try an pop by you later to night I'm in the uk so I'm talking about 8ish. Give m a heads up if you wont be available.

Speak soon and be blessed

NIA

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4595 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.