OK, no more reluctance on Mesh for me

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4619 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I've been hesitant on the outcome of how mesh will work due mostly from the PE cost with regards to what I make.  I had purchased some mesh outfits that required me to use their shape and have been concerned about the ability to modify meshes.

Last night this all changed when I tried on a new dress from Rebel Hope.  She is an old friend and I have always admired her work however, her mesh gown blew me away to say the least.  Fitting is different in that you don't modify the object, you have to modify your shape however, it was close enough that when I did so, I still looked like me.  

With the ability for it to move with me not through me, I just had to go dancing.  I was thrilled how gracefully it flowed when I moved, though I did make one quick discovery.  If someone did not have a mesh enabled browser, I was pretty much naked (except for the alpha layer) but my bewbs where clearly out there for anyone to see.  Fortunately, I'm not shy LOL.

As I still don't see myself jumping in for my own stuff which are not worn (housewares), I am very excited to see what creations others come up with in the area of fashion which, in a way, also sucks...sorta.  I had relegated myself to being OK with the tons of clothes I already and have not been shopping much and saving my lindens.  Guess that will change again soon and over time, I see myself as dumping a lot of my old Sculpt clothes much like I did with all of my Prim Shoes.

For me there are still too many compromises that need to be made vs the possible gains. This is especially true in light of the fact that as a guy non-mesh pants and shirts work just fine.

If I was female and didn't mind changing my avatar to fit the clothes and could put up with learning a new, slower and buggier viewer and could deal with the bugs and instability of a new technology...

But, I have to admit, the pics of dresses and skirts I've seen do look pretty darned good. I can understand why you ladies are tempted to jump on the wagon early.

Chelsea Malibu wrote:

I've been hesitant on the outcome of how mesh will work due mostly from the PE cost with regards to what I make.  I had purchased some mesh outfits that required me to use their shape and have been concerned about the ability to modify meshes.

Last night this all changed when I tried on a new dress from Rebel Hope.  She is an old friend and I have always admired her work however, her mesh gown blew me away to say the least.  Fitting is different in that you don't modify the object, you have to modify your shape however, it was close enough that when I did so, I still looked like me.  

With the ability for it to move with me not through me, I just had to go dancing.  I was thrilled how gracefully it flowed when I moved, though I did make one quick discovery.  If someone did not have a mesh enabled browser, I was pretty much naked (except for the alpha layer) but my bewbs where clearly out there for anyone to see.  Fortunately, I'm not shy LOL.

As I still don't see myself jumping in for my own stuff which are not worn (housewares), I am very excited to see what creations others come up with in the area of fashion which, in a way, also sucks...sorta.  I had relegated myself to being OK with the tons of clothes I already and have not been shopping much and saving my lindens.  Guess that will change again soon and over time, I see myself as dumping a lot of my old Sculpt clothes much like I did with all of my Prim Shoes.

I, myself, am not too keen on having to change my shape every time I change clothes.  This is the main reason I haven't purchased any of guy clothes that have come out so far, not to mention every mesh enabled viewer I've tried is buggy as heck and crashes on teleport number 2.  Phoenix is the only stable viewer, in my opinion, and so I couldn't see the clothes anyway.  Since mesh is coming to Phoenix in the near future, I might take the plunge and buy a pair of Hoorenbeeks new mesh pants he just came out with, but until then, I'm satisfied. 

I guess one thing a person could do to make the shape thing work, is to make a copy of your shape and put that copy into the folder of the mesh clothing.  Then, edit the copied shape to fit the clothing.  A person would have to remember to put on the newly edited shape each time he/she wanted to wear the mesh clothing. 

By the way, Miss Chelsea..."bewbs" absolutely cracked me up!  :smileyvery-happy:

I'm watching and waiting a bit. The Mesh dresses I've tried look very pretty in the pictures and on the proper model. On my avatar, the adjustments are quite a lot, and I'm not willing to adjust my avatar everytime I want to wear something (even if it means saving a new shape in the folder with the outfit). While I can modify my shape, many many people have non-mod shapes that they have purchased separately or when they purchase skins, so I am left wondering what are those people going to do? Also, I was disappointed when I sat down in the skirts - even though the skirt bends with my avatar, the same issue of the skirt splitting in the front exists (it looks really bad in system skirts and in mesh skirts - that stretched piece between your legs when in a cross leg pose), also I was wearing boots and due to the alpha for the dress, my legs were missing and you could see right down into the boots -> not a good look. I would find it very odd to go "shoeless" and sit down and have nothing at all at the bottom of my avatar where shoes/boots should be. So, I'm watching and experimenting. I expect it is just a question of time since it is such a new addition to our sl closets and tool boxes.

I'm surprised no one mentioned that Phoenix will soon be mesh enabled.  I read it on their website but this will only be for as long as V1 is supported.  Soon it wont and only Firestorm will work. I set up firestorm and after I got it configured the way I wanted, it was not bad though the chat and im thing is still lame.

A tip I figured out last night which is mentioned above was awesome.  I changed my shape for that outfit (bewbs, butt, hips) a little to make it fit then saved it within the folder the outfit was in. 

The more I read about mesh and people's experiences the more I will wait. 

To me, if I have to change my shape to meet the concept of a designer's mesh clothes (no insult to Rebel or any other designers), then I won't be buying mesh clothes regardless who the maker is.  I will stick with my flexi skirts dropping into my body and whatever I sit/lay on. 

In my vanity, I  like my shape and my looks....it has taken me years to perfect the way I look...I am satisfied. If I have to constantly change my shape to fit into clothes that is the concept of someone else, then I am no longer me but what someone else wishes me to be.  No, thanks!

I think in time, all this will be sorted out but until it does, I will invest my LLs in non mesh items that will fit.  I do wish good luck to all you beta designers and clothes testers during this sorting out period.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4619 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.