Avatar tracker, is it against TOS or not?

Coby Foden

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4619 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Happened to see this in the Marketplace:

"Your SLAVTracker queries the Second Life grid, recording the login status of avatars in your SLAVTracker avatar list. This list is administared by you from a website and can include ANY second life avatar, even avatars that are not on your friends list or appear hidden. The login information is stored in our database allowing you view the dates, times and duration of an avatars presence in Second Life."

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/SLAVTracker-The-simple-web-enabled-avatar-monitoring-system/1881885?ple=h

What do you think, is this against TOS?

This does sound like it's being marketed to drama-queens-in-the-making, but the script function has been used for good reason over the years. I've used it to help serve customers who have left an offline and need me to contact them when they are on....instead of having to repeatedly bring up their profile to check if they are online, I can just receive a message instead and get on with other things in the meantime. However, harrassment is a different matter, and anything that is used to amass data and store it gives me the creeps.

So, I don't think the product is bad on it's own, ToS-wise, but it could be used in a manner that breaks it.

i myself use it on my slaves. they are under contract to serve one hour per day on my sim, and many before have logged on in the sim then tp out. my use pertains to making sure contractual agreements are kept. but that is all. It could be used to harrass ppl, but the same information can be obtained just by searching, it doent gather any personal info, IP's, only avatar log in and log out times.

My experience was different.  It was not a few minutes for something to update.  I was 'accused' of being online for an entire weekend.  Non-stop.  I have never done this.  Perhaps there was something screwy on the client end.  I do not know nor do I care at this point because the accuser is no longer a 'friend'.

you were most likely ghosted (which actually doesn't always result in being unable to login)... but the drama queen was too dumb to realize that.

I've happily only had one person ever complain that block my online status by default; they helpfully removed me from their contact list, saving me the trouble.

Void Singer wrote:

you were most likely ghosted (
which actually doesn't always result in being unable to login
)... but the drama queen was too dumb to realize that.

I've happily only had one person ever complain that block my online status by default; they helpfully removed me from their contact list, saving me the trouble.

Thanks for that Void.  I did not know that was possible. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4619 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.