Second Life

ChristineAngelHart

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4610 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

4 answers to this question

This is a virtual world, Christine.  You are still sitting in front of a computer screen, and your av is still a lovely collection of pixels on that screen.  Neither of you went anywhere.  Other people all over the world are doing the same thing.  You can greet them just the same way you would if you were on the phone, or you can have your avatar interact with their avatars on your screen.  Nobody's avatar "goes" anywhere, any more than your voice does on the phone.

• Like 1

LL used to have an office in Brighton, UK, and there are sims that resemble, or are named after, Brighton.  The servers which host these sims, though, are probably in SanFrancisco or elsewhere in the USA. 

It would be extra nice to find that visiting Berlin or Japan or Hawaii in Second Life, meant your avatar was actually communicating with a server in one of those countries, but sadly this is not so.

However, when you are talking to an avatar who claims to be in Abu Dhabi, or Japan, or Germany, or UK, or wherever, they probably are.

A few years ago, I spent part of my Christmas Day with some German friends, three of whom were actually sitting in the same room in one of their homes in Germany, while li'l ol' me was sitting here in the UK, on my very uncomfortable chair.  The memory I actually have is of listening to some great music in a country & western themed bar (where the music actually wasn't very country and western at all).

I also have memories of dancing on The Titanic, and when I am old and grey, that might seem like a very real memory to me, but I know it was only pixels :matte-motes-wink:

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4610 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.