missing gifts?

Lucindae

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3433 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Yes, it happens all the time when using the gift function. There doesn't appear to be anything specific to the people it does it with...I've had the same issue with avatars who have been around a long time and brand new residents. I took the issue up with Support and they sent me to the JIRA, where you will find the issue here

https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/WEB-3864

Nothing is happening with it at all...the only way it will be dealt with is if the merchants made an issue of it, but, they don't even know that you tried to order a gift. Maybe someday WorkingOnIt Linden will get to it.

It is very frustrating to jira things as it seems mostly that's where issues go to die. 

Please post your comment on the JIRA, so they know it's still happening

To OP: there's no real rhyme or reason on the gifting failures. Most of the time they work, but then as you are experiencing they won't complete no matter what you do. Once this round completes one way or another, if the Merchant doesn't have gifting from their inworld store, maybe send them an im/nc to ask if they can help directly. I do it for my customers all the time when they want to send a gift and for some reason things just don't want to work any other way.

To Trix: One of the problems with the JIRAs is that there are so many similar ones for the MP that it's hard to know which one is the right one to vote for.  I had this issue with people gifting items as well as sending to themselves in June and was directed here: https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/WEB-3126

Not sure if you've seen that JIRA or voted for it and set it to watch.

The gift function is just one of the most obvious targets for tampering by the malicious insider or insiders, the exitence of which LL continues not to deny.

Because the gift function involves an additiona party by having a recipient different from the buyer, the chances that any issue with a gift will be sorted out between those 2 people and the merchant well enough to submit a coherent support case or other comment to LL are comparatively smaller than for other types of sales.

If the merchant says the item was delivered but not paid, the buyer says the item was paid but can't be sure whether it was delivered, and the intended recipient doesn't know whether it was paid but says it wasn't received, the 3 of them are just as likely to keep dickering amongst themselves as they are to cooperate and document the incident in any actionable way.

Thank you Arwen, I've added my watch to the jira you mention.

It is however a different issue from the one I run into. WeB-3126 is an issue with recipients not showing up...Perhaps I misunderstood the issue in this thread, but, my jira deals with avatars who are found...the system identifies them enters or even completes the name in the gifting area...but then, the system appears to accept it but says it cannot be delivered right away...eventually the thing just times out...there is no charge to the giver and the recipient never receives the gift. 

The frustrating part for me is that you cannot know when  or which avatars the system will not deliver to.

Linden did at one point seem to say it was just new avatars which is why I made apoint of sending some gifts to people up to 3 years old and still having this happen...it is not possible to say when it will and will not happen

BTW, I was told I guess almost a year ago now that voting for JIRAs no longer made a difference and that only watching did...however, with all the misinformation that sometimes gets tossed around... I just don't know

/me giggles, maybe I'll do a jira on it

Yes Holger, that's why it is so frustrating...it happens sometimes and not others and to some people and never to others.

I work at a club where I often gave new girls clothing, the gift function was like a godsend, but, then it started this and oh well...

I now send them off to buy things or give them some of my own creations. It's just a shame that some merchants are losing out and probably don't even know it

Hi Trix, you're right 3126 is about avatars not showing up, but it was where Support asked me to go to add my experiences. My experience was definately with non-receipt/failed delivery/transaction timing out resulting in refund to avatars, not the failure to recognize them (as far as I know).  I'll also go to the other and vote/set to watch. Sometimes the JIRAs are rather similar (end result of the customer not receiving item) - only thing to do if Support is contacted is to go where they ask you to since sorting through the multitude of JIRAs is rather difficult. On my way now to the other one...

• 3 years later...

What can you do?  First of all, quit using such a stupid typeface, it doesn't bring anything to the question and just makes it difficult to read.

Second, follow the instructions given in the Wiki about shopping on Marketplace, this assumes that you've bought the gifts via Marketplace?  You didn't say.

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/Shopping-in-the-Second-Life-Marketplace/ta-p/700189#Section_.2.4

If not via the Marketplace then hmm... what you *could* do is contact the person who sells the item.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3433 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.