PRIVACY in SL

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4672 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I've been in SL for many years now and sadly I've still seen no change in the privacy aspect of the game. Implementing the ability to not show yourself online to friends is useless? All one needs to do is click on their profile and they show online or offline. There needs to be work done on this so as when one pulls up the persons profile there is no indication showing whether they're online or not. There is another useless feature added to the viewer such as the search box in the profile window -  I don't have mine checked so as to be found in search, but I am still able to find myself and the fact I am showing online as well. Where is the privacy? Can one tell me when this will be made priority or are these features just for shits and giggles? It makes the viewer seem like a joke when features do not work.

Since you are a long-term resident, I assume you have tried all sorts of ways to get some privacy (including making an alt).  I would say, though,  your friends should respect your desire to have some time to yourself.  If they will not, and you have discussed this with them and, still, they will not, remove them.

Privacy has always been illusion and will prolly always be illusion. Best to just accept that and not try to hide from people.

LSL scripts can know if person is online even if they enable the drama queen setting "hide my online status". Some people keep asking LL to remove this feature from LSL but even if LL destroy lot of valid content that use this feature we can still see if people are online with various other methods.

Other privacy illusions:

Unless you are in island that is totally locked from public access and dont have neighboring sims:

- people can always know where you are.

- people can always hear what you say in open chat.

- people can always rez objects and run scripts.

LL could prevent this from happening, but that would destroy giant pile of valid SL content. Personally i like SL where one can do 10000000 things more than SL where you can do 100 things.

Fixing all the pricvacy illusions would damage SL so much that it would become as boring and limited as IMVU or some other silly lil thing.

Making an alt requires you to spend MORE money in world and I refuse to do this since I have invested enough money in my current avatar. And it does not focus on just my friends list. If I chose to remove people from my friends list, I should not have to worry about them finding me. Sure there is a MUTE button but when there is an option to hide from everyone, I'd like it to work for me when I need it to work. Not everyone is respectful to ones privacy and I should not have to IM 50 people on my list to remind them not to IM me because I am busy. I should not have to make an alt when it is Linden Labs responsibility to make sure that whatever features are available to us, work.

I do not have any issues with people knowing I am on.  I can choose to chat, say I am busy right now or just not reply at all.

My friends are too polite to ever just tp to me without an invitation and strangers who appear usually leave when let them know they have entered a private space...if they don't I eject and ban them.

The show in search thing is for web searches. It would not be a good idea to be able to completely hide your profile from all searches inworld, because, for example, if you left a message for someone not on your friends list...say a creator of something you bought...they could not find you to IM you back.

As for showing online, there are so many ways to see if someone is online, even by simply sending an IM, that it is better to just assume everyone can always see if you are online & not worry about it. Afterall, what real difference does it make? If you want to be left alone, you can just tell people you are busy or set an auto-response & if they are too rude to respect that then mute them. :)

Jessica Black wrote:

I can only hope that Linden Lab fixes the features that are implemented in our viewers so as they actually work.

They cant "fix" the features in the viewers. But they can remove the features so people dont get false illusion of privacy.

Yeah, I have people IM me within a hot second after I log in, and not with "are you on?" but with "hi" and a smiley face, as if they know I'm on.

And they're not on my friend's list.

And I think I have only friends can see me online enabled.

And I think there are scripts people can buy to work around that.

And I don't know why they would.

I don't get this whole "aha! I see you" type of thinking.

Melita Magic wrote:

Yeah, I have people IM me within a hot second after I log in, and not with "are you on?" but with "hi" and a smiley face, as if they know I'm on.

And they're not on my friend's list.

And I think I have only friends can see me online enabled.

And I think there are scripts people can buy to work around that.

And I don't know why they would.

I don't get this whole "aha! I see you" type of thinking.

That would have to be a scripted gadget. They usually scan at regular intervals such as every 10 mins or whatever, but I guess you could set one to scan every minute if you were that desperate to talk to someone lol

Auto response would probably help in your case, as you can set it to just respond to non-firends & tell them to leave a message and you will get back to them or whatever. I have customers that do the same to me & I prefer to answer the offlines that I get when I login first, so any new ones get the auto-response and have to wait their turn.

Peewee Musytari wrote:

That would have to be a scripted gadget. They usually scan at regular intervals such as every 10 mins or whatever, but I guess you could set one to scan every minute if you were that desperate to talk to someone lol

There is an online service that advertises the ability to get in touch with SL users by showing true online status (my belief is that it polls once, but in real-time). Considering that this thread is aimed at privacy, I'm reluctant to post the URI. Between that and some third party viewers that use LSL bridges for the same purpose, it's unfortunately not too hard at all to bypass even the basic privacy controls that we're given in-world.

My personal assumption is that privacy was something that SL isn't capable of by design. Humans however have a fully functioning understanding of privacy, and those that pretend otherwise have no place in my SL.

Freya Mokusei wrote:

Peewee Musytari wrote:

There is an online service that advertises the ability to get in touch with SL users by showing true online status (my belief is that it polls once, but in real-time). Considering that this thread is aimed at privacy, I'm reluctant to post the URI. Between that and some third party viewers that use LSL bridges for the same purpose, it's unfortunately not too hard at all to bypass even the basic privacy controls that we're given in-world.

My personal assumption is that privacy was something that SL isn't capable of by design. Humans however have a fully functioning understanding of privacy, and those that pretend otherwise have no place in my SL.

I don`t know the online service, but the scenario the OP described of someone IM`ing a second after she logs on, makes me think it is not someone using a viewer that shows online status, unless the person is REALLY sad and sitting there refreshing her profile until she logs on lol The scripted gagdets scan perdiodically & tell you if someone`s status changes, if the web based one sends you notifications then yes it could be that too.

The problem is not the knowledge that people have, it is what they use it for. It doesn`t bother me at all that customers or whoever knows that I am online, so long as they respect my space & my choice about when I speak with them, which to be fair, most people do.

Rude people will be rude, with or without gadgets. :)

Peewee Musytari wrote:
the scenario the OP described of someone IM`ing a second after she logs on, makes me think it is not someone using a viewer that shows online status

Thanks. In my haste I'd forgotten that Melita said these people weren't on her friends list. TPVs can show true status in the Friends list (which would show online/offline notifications based on true status), but obviously that doesn't apply for non-friends. I agree with you that scripts (in one form or another) were most definitely the cause.

Rude people will be rude, with or without gadgets.
:)

I agree with this, absolutely.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4672 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.