Why is Viewer 2 so bad at texture loading?

Moni Duettmann

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4347 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I have tried and tried. Settings, sims, viewer versions... no solution to this. With V2 textures sinply don't load fast or don't load completely or don't load at all. Why can I exclude certain explanations? Because with Phoenix the problem doesn't appear. The Phoenix viewer is much better with textures, same computer, same line, same settings few problems. As fast as swapping to V2 - blurred desaster. I find this extremely annoying. You literally can't buy in shops, because all the hundreds of textures in there take hours to load. Why is there no help?m Why isn't this a top priority at the techies at Linden? 

13 answers to this question

I use Viewer 2 beta 3.0.1 and Kirstens S21(9) and have no teture rezzing issues apart from the odd alpha texture glitch which can affect one pair of shoes from a designer and not six other pairs from the same designer.

But textures do normally rez fast. I visited some large stores yesterday including Pixel fashions, a large store with probably thousands of textures and everything rezzed beautifully and quickly.

You could try what Torley Linden suggests in this thread, turn off HTTP textures.

http://secondlife.lithium.com/t5/Second-Life-Viewer-Basic-Mode/Any-way-to-speed-up-texture-downloads/td-p/782447

When I used Emerald before it hit the trash can, I hated its slow texture rezzing. It really was poor and because of that and other reasons, I never installed Phoenix so I've never done a comparison between Phoenix and Viewer 2. When I switched from 1.23.5 and Emerald to Viewer 2, my old computer groaned a bit but my new computer loved Viewer 2 and it rezzes very well. What are your computer specifications and is your graphics card driver reasonably up to date? Could be a graphics card update would sort texture rezzing out for you on Viewer 2 based clients.

I know this post is way old, and I hope you have solved the issue by nowDisable HTTP Textures and keep HTTP Inventory checked. You can do this in the Developement menu if your viewer doesn't have the option in advanced graphic preferences. HTTP Textures is **bleep**...I mean **bleep**! Disable it and you will never have a half blurry avi again.

If you're having a flaky router causing issues with dropping packets, relying more heavily on UDP (which doesn't care whether data gets received or not) rather than HTTP which uses TCP (which does care and will retry on dropped packets), disabling HTTP textures will make the problem much worse.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4347 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.