Pre-paid debit cards, do they still work?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4645 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have heard rumours that LL no longer accepts prepaid debit cards. This is all i've used for the last several years in SL. And although I've had occasional problems, for the most part they have worked, as long as it is a card that can be registered online to your name with your address and zip code.

Does anyone know for certain or can point me to an official post that they no longer work.

I have not seen a post on that. But, registering a 'billing' address online for any prepaid card will help.

Online merchants use an address verification service (AVS) when somone makes a purchase with a credit or debit card. For Gift cards that do not have registered addresses AVS will reply with codes for (address not found/gift card). This is a signal to any merchant that the potential for fraud is high.

A lot of them no longer work. People have been complaining about that particular thing for the better part of the last year(at least). But there are some that still work. Greendot cards for instance, many can get the Walmart ones to work fine, but not others. Guess it's a bit of a crap shoot at the moment. I haven't seen anything "official" ever said on the matter though. Just a lot of angry people no longer able to use their prepaids. (a google search will likely find you those discussions)

I know Walmart has a greendot card, but Greendot can be found in lots of places, most of which have nothing at all to do with any company(ie, Walmart). You can get a free Greendot card online.

I have one myself, it's not a Walmart one though. Actually none of the Greendot cards I have had have been Walmart ones.

They all used to work with Sl too, but now they don't(except the Walmart ones, and even that I'm not sure it's consistent as I've seen folks say even those aren't working for them)

The Greendot cards are issued by the Synovus Bank. Synovus Bank is chartered in the state of Georgia, USA and and operates under multiple trade names across the Southeast.

The Green Dot Corporation is a service provider for Synovus Bank that markets the Greendot Cards.

The Greendot card is sold through stores of major national USA retailers such as Wallmart, CVS, and Radio Shack and online on its own website. https://www.mygreendot.com/greendot/

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4645 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.