Trensperent clothing

Willem Bruun

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4507 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I make clothes with GIMP, freeware that is something like Photoshop. In GIMP, for each layer you can set the transparency from 0 to 100% I assume that it is similar in Photoshop but I don't know about paint.net.

Some parts of some of the clothes are slightly transparent or very transparent. They can still have a color. For example, I made a pink lace bra where the main layer is slightly transparent and pink. The lace, over the main layer, is opaque and pink.

Maybe paint.net has such a feature. If so, that is what you need.

Ooh, I happen to have paint.net at work. I don't use it much. It looks like you can make layers. I believe you want to draw your clothes on a new layer. Not the solid background layer. When you un-check the background layer you should see a grey and white checkerboard pattern. Wherever you see the pattern is where it will be transparent. Then you need to merge or delete layers until you have just one layer. You should still see the pattern. Save it as a tga. It gives you the choice for 24 or 32 bit. Choose 32. Upload that tga to SL and put it into a clothing item and hopefully it works.

Bob,

Transparency comes in degrees, from totally transparent (invisible) to totally opaque. GIMP, Photoshop, and other programs come in layers; the final product is a combination of layers.

Transparency can be used at least two ways. Sometimes I may have a design for clothing that varies from white to gray to look like shadows. Then on top of that a partial transparent layer with the desired color. When the layers are combined there is the color and the appearance of shadows or the 3-D effect and the color.

Another reason to use partial transparency is for sheer fabric. Below is a bra that I made some time ago. The main layer is red at 50% transparency. The strategically placed lace is another layer and fully opaque. (as are the straps and edges). This is very much like what I was wearing when I made it. Except on the real one the lace was not as strategically placed :matte-motes-smile:

red lace trans bra.jpg

I assume the box with an X replaced with an x means the image was considered inappropriate. It did show up before. The image was of a red bra referred to in the post. You can see the picture under "my images".

I would have considered it to be G rated. After all, if you look at the department store ads in my Sunday newspaper you will see pictures of bras on real women.

• 4 months later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4507 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.