MarketPlace Strategies... Enhancements?

Haveit Neox

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4677 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Am I doing this right? I just opened a page on MarketPlace as a merchant and noticed right away that my items would go to the outer worldly page number 111,758 in Search. As that seemed to guarantee invisibility, I decided to try out enhancements. Put up my pavilion on main page, but never saw my ad there though I looked for 30 min, hitting refresh after scrolling thru all the ads on display. I’m sure to have seen thousands of ads, but not mine. Then I added my texture pack and sculpture under their respective Landing Page Categories as separate ads. In this, my first week on MP, I sold one texture pack for 225 L, but have spent over 1,600 L on advertising for the same week. One thing I noticed is that many ads repeat frequently. I’m wondering if that’s the way to go, and if so, how do you repeat an ad more than once? Are there other strategies I should be thinking about to gain exposure? Thanks! Haveit Neox

Haveit Neox wrote:

Am I doing this right? I just opened a page on MarketPlace as a merchant and noticed right away that my items would go to the outer worldly page number 111,758 in Search. As that seemed to guarantee invisibility, I decided to try out enhancements. Put up my pavilion on main page, but never saw my ad there though I looked for 30 min, hitting refresh after scrolling thru all the ads on display. I’m sure to have seen thousands of ads, but not mine. Then I added my texture pack and sculpture under their respective Landing Page Categories as separate ads. In this, my first week on MP, I sold one texture pack for 225 L, but have spent over 1,600 L on advertising for the same week. One thing I noticed is that many ads repeat frequently. I’m wondering if that’s the way to go, and if so, how do you repeat an ad more than once? Are there other strategies I should be thinking about to gain exposure? Thanks! Haveit Neox

I JUSTTTT talked about this in the other thread and how in my opinion SLM Listing Enhancements are utterly USELESS.

Thank you for being my straightman on this topic.

Welcome to the complete USELESSNESS OF THE SLM LISTING ENHANCEMENTS!

IMHO - you learned a costly and valuable lesson that many SLM Merchants have learned... Save your money and dont waste your $L on listing enhancements. 

What you experienced and noticed on your first experience with Listing Enhancements - I have noticed every one of my 4 wasted money experiements with Enhancements.

For the most part - I think those that use Listing Enhancement have just convinced themselves that they only have SLM sales at the levels they do because they keep paying for enhancements.  I am sure other Merchants will tell you they are so important to them and it is a must have cost to SLM...

Not for me.... I have saved $10s of thousands of $L by not wasting it on useless SLM Listing Enhancements.

Google picks up Tribe.net posts pretty quickly.

I think what I'll do in lieu of listing enhancements is to create an SLM Merchants Tribe and people can post links there with whatever text they want in the subject lines.

Shoppers will have to use search functions outside of SLM to find the links, but it will be better than nothing, and way better than paying for nothing.

If you want, I'll post some products for you guys there just to see what happens, and you don't have to join Tribe.net if you think it's pointless.

What items would you like me to promote?

Toysoldier Thor wrote:

Haveit Neox wrote:

I JUSTTTT talked about this in the other thread and how in my opinion SLM Listing Enhancements are utterly USELESS.

Thank you for being my straightman on this topic.

Welcome to the complete USELESSNESS OF THE SLM LISTING ENHANCEMENTS!

IMHO - you learned a costly and valuable lesson that many SLM Merchants have learned... Save your money and dont waste your $L on listing enhancements. 

What you experienced and noticed on your first experience with Listing Enhancements - I have noticed every one of my 4 wasted money experiements with Enhancements.

For the most part - I think those that use Listing Enhancement have just convinced themselves that they only have SLM sales at the levels they do because they keep paying for enhancements.  I am sure other Merchants will tell you they are so important to them and it is a must have cost to SLM...

Not for me.... I have saved $10s of thousands of $L by not wasting it on useless SLM Listing Enhancements.

Ditto.  Unless you are in an extremely popular product group such as Skins, Hair or Shoes, you see little benefit.  I have tried this from every angle you can think of and the results have always been far less than expected.

I have long challenged that if LL did an offer to give you a week free to try before you buy, they would probably sell far less of these.  I don't blame the Labs for this, it's just the way it is. People really dont pay attention to this for some reason.  Even top listing placement in your category shows very few results.

Put up my pavilion on main page, but never saw my ad there though I looked for 30 min, hitting refresh after scrolling thru all the ads on display. I’m sure to have seen thousands of ads, but not mine.  One thing I noticed is that many ads repeat frequently. I’m wondering if that’s the way to go, and if so, how do you repeat an ad more than once? Are there other strategies I should be thinking about to gain exposure? Thanks! Haveit Neox

As to how it works, read this thread .  You can't repeat an ad multiple times. It's just it looks like that.

To gain exposure, you could try having ads on SL related sites outside SL or use facebook, twitter, flickr, you tube, your own blog/site and so on.

Before someone gets heavily involved in that, they need to be aware that will probably change up their appearance on the first couple of pages of google search.  Depends on how they have their name inserted into marketplace listings.

If it's important for someone to find you on facebook or google+ or directly to blog...you gotta be really careful on this stuff.

I've been battling for weeks with not much success against now 5 about me pages that are being picked up from forum, that totally shot down my blog positioning.

You gotta be real careful on that.

Not sure if you realize this or not, but if you used good keywords and you have top sellers with lots of hits from marketplace or blog hits... your marketplace listings are showing up big time in google search and big time in google image search.

Interesting points.

If you do use the Tribe.net option, you might want to use a different set of words, anyway.

If it matters to you (anyone) to mention it, I will not police spam keywords unless they produce some kind of actual problem for me.

My tentative suggestion would be just  to put maybe one noun and maybe a bunch of adjectives in the subject line, and not worry too much about how the product is already listed on SLM.

OTOH, I supposed the thing could just be used for products that are already not popping on Google, or which are being squished by competitors you might be able to bypass with some word choices or combinations that would be harder to use on SLM.

I'm not really sure how that works - do you have a completed page up yet?

once I watched the google search solid for a few weeks, I got real picky about where I went and posted on the internet.  every time you do that, you leave a mark that shows up in google, and sometimes the mark does not appear as you would like.

this forum is a pretty bad case of that, as these pages tend to rank very high, particularly those about me pages that are oddly showing up, and those image pages that have started popping up - but I gave up.

I'm already all over Google searches like an infectious disease for a bunch of other reasons. It's really scary how many short, apparently random character strings will spew up something that I produced, or something that someone has lifted from something I produced.

I'm becoming better all the time at generating Google zero texts, but I find they don't remain Google zero forever.

Just see how quickly Google can get something to pop up under me with a word like "Euzygotics"(with the S).

To be fair, I'm pretty sure that word actually existed before I taught Google to look for it.

"Akeminopu" is different kettle of fish, and I'm more proud of that one, actually.

Probably, this item will be of more interest here, though:

http://tribes.tribe.net/spiderbait/photos/c92f8768-dd61-496b-83d0-a46881369788

With a lot of my products, you are correct that "Second Life Market" and one other word tends to produce hits for me and not much for other things, but I'm not sure that's generating all that many sales for me.

If you want to randomly intermingle your keywords with the content of the Swadesh List translated into 50 other languages, be my guest on the Tribe. No one is going to flag you or delist your item on that basis because it's not much of LL's business to regulate Google-searchable texts at Tribe.net

At least I can easily delete things from Tribe and they will actually scroll off and disappear from Google eventually, so it's not so bad as you might think. 

So go ahead, eh.

Toysoldier Thor wrote:

Enhancements work fine for many people selling all sorts of products in all sorts of categories, making the assumption that we are for the most part too stupid to realise whether they are profitable or not is the most astounding arrogance.

But what is even more astounding is that 2 people who make their money in retail are constantly extolling the virtues of NOT advertising  and bragging about how many pennies they have saved.

You and Josh should point out to others, when you give out this fabulous business advice that the two of you put together don't make enough to share a takeaway pizza at the end of the month, while myself and many other apparently deluded people take home hundreds and in some cases thousands of dollars.

You have tried enhancements on 4 products, and knowing you, I imagine they were the cheapest ones possible run for the shortest time possible, and because this wasn't a successful venture for you, you have extrapolated the argument that it is therefore unsuccessful for everyone else and every other product.

I am telling you here and now, quite categorically, enhancements absolutely work for me and given the number of repeated enhancements, hundreds of other merchants too, so saying its a useless waste of money just isn't good enough, you should be looking at why you are so much less successful than other merchants who are doing the same thing, not assuming all those other more successful people are somehow deluding themselves. 

If anyone is deluded it's you guys, measuring the success of your businesses by how much you didn't spend rather than how much you actually took.

Here's how I do enhancements...

I pay money, I don't care. End.  By definition, i'm stupid.

Let me explain how I shop...

I open MP, I *ONLY* view the enhanced products on the front page now when i'm casually browsing and if I like the look of the item, I typically view the rest of the creators products.  I find I don't often buy the enhanced item but will buy others and often i'll TP inworld.  This style of shopping is difficult to track at best and MP provides very very poor, to zero methods to do so effectively.

Advertising/Enhancements are sometimes at a loss leader, especially where branding is concerned.  From my inworld vending system, I can easily determine the full value of a mall spot, including those sales at my main shop due to someone seeing the mall spot and tp'ing to main to buy.  The mall spot might not sell enough to cover its cost, main store sales as a result of that spot are a very different picture, other mall spots do much better but do I immediately do a simple report of that one location and say "OMGZ I lost s few L$, I must close it?"  Not usually no.  Only if the compound value is just pointless over an externded period of time will that happen.  Then there are also the places that i'm affectionately attached to, like a sick animal, just hard to put down. :)

Sassy Romano wrote:

Here's how I do enhancements...

I pay money, I don't care. End.  By definition, i'm stupid.

Let me explain how I shop...

I open MP, I *ONLY* view the enhanced products on the front page now when i'm casually browsing and if I like the look of the item, I typically view the rest of the creators products.  I find I don't often buy the enhanced item but will buy others and often i'll TP inworld.  This style of shopping is difficult to track at best and MP provides very very poor, to zero methods to do so effectively.

Advertising/Enhancements are sometimes at a loss leader, especially where branding is concerned.  From my inworld vending system, I can easily determine the full value of a mall spot, including those sales at my main shop due to someone seeing the mall spot and tp'ing to main to buy.  The mall spot might not sell enough to cover its cost, main store sales as a result of that spot are a very different picture, other mall spots do much better but do I immediately do a simple report of that one location and say "OMGZ I lost s few L$, I must close it?"  Not usually no.  Only if the compound value is just pointless over an externded period of time will that happen.  Then there are also the places that i'm affectionately attached to, like a sick animal, just hard to put down.
:)

So as was mentioned by me and also Josh... for some market segements - SLM enhancements might be effective and I agree that CLOTHING is surely one of them.  Why, because there are shoppers like Sassy that are bored and have nothing else to do so they decide to open up SLM and simply watch the SLM listing enhancements go by and buy whatever pretty Merchant picture is placed before her.  This type of shopper is very clearly geared toward clothing shoppers - those the have the instinctive urge to BUY - and Clothing is usually what they want to buy but they dont know what clothing to buy so they will let the Merchant that advertises best - influence them.

Now see Sassy... my market segment of customers DO NOT come into SLM because they are bored and simply wanna buy something.  I sell Landscape Sculpty Map packs and my customers are very busy and have projects to get done and they come into SLM with a specific purpose.  They are specifically coming into SLM to use it as a SEARCH ENGINE and they LOOK for what they need.  They dont come into SLM because they are bored and sit and watch the screen fly by with Merchant ads to influence them.  In fact I dare say that to them the Listing Enhancement Ads are more of an annoyance - like they are to me - and uses up valuable search result window space.

So... If you are a Merchant that is selling in SLM to a marketshare dominated by the SASSY Shoppers (i.e. typically and this is not an insult - a female shopper that is just window shopping for a neat new outfit to wear) then Listing Enhnacements are likely value to you.

If you are a merchant with a customer base that you know uses SLM as a tool to search for a product or options for a product they need (and not as a form of entertainment), then Listing Enhancements are a completely waste of time.  Its not a lost leader, it wont improve your SLM or Inworld sales enough to ever recoup its costs.  And pumping money into listing enhancements is a waste of money.  I learned over the past 2 years that my customers do not care about listing enhancements.

If you want to improve traffic and sales to your SLM listings.... focus on your listing content and get your listing to the top of the search results.  THAT is far better use of your time than using expensive SLM enhancements as a crutch.

PS.... as per LOST LEADER ... I know full well about what you are talking about.  But the concept of LOST LEADER is not as much about advertising one of your products - its about offering it at a rediculously low price that draws in customers wanting that deal... and ohh by the way while they are in your store buying the product - they see the other products and buy them too.  This is what MIDNIGHT MANIA and all the other inworld destroying marketing gimmicks are all focused on.  Of course you need to promote / advertise the product you are cutting price on.... but LOST LEADER is about price cutting not advertising it.

Regardless Sassy, every time I tried listing enhancements - its not that I didnt see ANY increase in that product's sales volume during or after the enhancement period..... I saw NO INCREASE IN ANY OF MY PRODUCT SALES IN SLM OR INWORLD.  This happened on every one of my 4 attempts.

Then I finally smartened up and realized that my customer base is not influenced by pretty pictures flashing in front of their eyes.  To get to my target market I needed to put all my efforts in understanding how to get my landscape sculpty map packs into the forefront of SLM search.  And over the past year since SLM was released - I have accomplished that.

That is why - with ZERO SLM ADVERTISING EXPENSES - my sales in SLM has been rock solid steady even on my oldest packs that are now 2 years old this month!  They are still my best sellers.  and its not because of listing enhancements and even if I paid 3000L a month to put them on the top of the main page of SLM - it would not change my sales volumes.

If you and Ziggy believe so strongly in Listing Enhancements and want to prove me wrong - then put your money where you mouth is.  YOU pay my 1 month of product Listing Enhancements on one of my 6 premium packs.  I know my sales volumes weekly since they are as steady as a rock almost all the time (unless LL screws up SLM like they have the past 2 weeks).  If the listing enhancements increass my overall sales by more than 10% over the 1 month vs the past 3 previous months - I will pay you back x 2 the costs of the listing enhancements.

Seems like you both are so sure Listing Enhancements are such a valuable tool.... here is a way you can prove me wrong and make an easy ~ $3000L (or however much it would cost for 1 month of enhancements) of extra money.

The offer stands.  PROVE ME WRONG!

Ah,  when experts were the higher level earners, and the idea was to figure out how to mangle things to work for you. You would actually pay attention when a success story came your way, or glean your real information from people that make things "work".

Short of that, wikipedia, conspiracy and forum promotion by pointing out the failings of the entire system But it's cheaper than paying for advertising I suppose, if you eliminate the time factor completely, and don't measure in terms of volume and overall earnings. Some sort of reverse-commerce thing.

Only here. Need another SLPro, if nothing else as a yearly support group.

That pay-off is not super appealing, considering what pay-off would be on own item.

Might want to raise your ante a bit there.

Also - you need to give control of packaging, pricing, promotion to your buds there, as that determines success.

Good Luck!

Actually - I would be willing to jump in on that offer with Ziggy and Dart if it applied to Haveit's Pavilion item.  It was Haveit's thread and questions.  If you're up for that, let us know Haveit!

eta:  hmmm...checking out that pavilion, Haveit...and looks like we might have a glitch on a super promotion.  It's absolutely stunning, but a little heavy on prims.  Not too many people can afford that many prims and we need to go for big numbers.  Not sure if we can get those numbers with that many prims.  If you come up with a pavilion that has 25 prims or less...I'm in on promotion.

oh...and please do not make fun of me for still having the Valentine's set running in August!  That would be so embarassing in front of all the professionals!

Toysoldier Thor wrote:

If you are a merchant with a customer base that you know uses SLM as a tool to search for a product or options for a product they need (and not as a form of entertainment), then Listing Enhancements are a completely waste of time.  Its not a lost leader, it wont improve your SLM or Inworld sales enough to ever recoup its costs.  And pumping money into listing enhancements is a waste of money.  I learned over the past 2 years that my customers do not care about listing enhancements.

You know how I hate to disagree with you Toy, but this is nonsense, I don't sell any clothes at all and my biggest selling items are animated texture packs which are used exclusively by creators. I often just browse the enhanced items especially on the homepage, I find it very hard to believe I am the only creator that does this. 

I would also point out that the purpose of advertising is not just to attract new sales from existing customers, it is also to attract completely new customers, so knowing your 'customers don't care about listing enhancements'  isn't very much use at all, I am sure if I surveyed my customers, none of them would 'care' about any aspect of my advertising strategy but that doesn't mean their buying decisions aren't influenced by it.

Toysoldier Thor wrote:

If you want to improve traffic and sales to your SLM listings.... focus on your listing content and get your listing to the top of the search results.  THAT is far better use of your time than using expensive SLM enhancements as a crutch.

Isn't this a bit of a contradiction? Paying to have your listing at the top of a page has no value whatsoever but working to get your listing just below the top of the page is apparently a good use of time.

As for your challenge, I offered a similar deal to Josh last week, and so far he hasn't taken me up on it, I am quite prepared to accept that enhancements haven't worked for you, your claim was that they don't work for anyone and now that they only work for people who sell clothes and that is the point I am debating.

The offer, I appreciate, but do not need. I intend to buy a listing enhancement at some point, and if it turns our you were right and I was wrong, I suppose I'll just have to pout all the way to the bank. In truth, I suspect that some listing enhancement might work, even for my products, but I'm still not up for the product bundling I'll have to do before that as long as LL still hasn't run out of weird new ways to prevent me from giving my existing customer base what they already want.

What I'm more taking from this discussion so far is not that I should buy listing enhancements for sculpted rocks, but that I should buy listing enhancements for shoes (and/or such).

In principle, that makes some sense.

But if I even have to look at another shoe ad in here, I already think I'm gonna' scream.

Putting up money for ads is one thing. Putting up a whole section of my brain for absurd cybertrannie footwear is quite another.

If sales of apparel, in general, are really more substantially affected by advertising than are sales of things like photoderivative sculpted relief columns, THAT might be a useful piece of information to me.

T-shirts are pretty easy for me to produce, as would be visually compelling fabric textures, and I could probably sculpt some attachments that would be worth wearing (just not shoes or hair).

Another part of the issue for me, though, is how many failed orders I might have to process if I actually promoted something.

If I had twice as many orders, wouldn't I have absolutely no less than twice as many delivery failures? Shouldn't the congestion stand to compound exponentially as the number of orders increases, and shouldn't I expect customers only to be less patient about delays in more expensive deliveries?

A long-term solution, I suppose, might be to produce fewer, more expensive products, which could eliminate the question of how to distribute 700+ products across a tedious abundance of boxes. But if the system is simply not set up to allow one merchant to sell 700 products in the final analysis, no matter how they are distributed, someone probably should have said something about that a long time before now.

Of course, there's allegedly no point in considering this as a long term problem because direct delivery is going to eliminate delivery failures due to shopping cart/box incompatibility (yarite).

So it has really become more of a deal I'm offering to LL: I'll show you some advertising money when you show me an effective delivery system for my product line.

Isn't that just fair?

Haveit, you only have three items on your market place page, and your inworld store (which is very nicely done BTW), looks more like a show piece than a store. I was rather confused on what was for sale and what was for show.

At this point it would not be worth while for you to pay for an enhanced listing. As others have pointed out, the purpose of an enhanced listing is not to sell that particular item, but to make people aware that you're in business. Those who click on a featured item rarely buy the item listed, but check you out to see what else you have. They're looking because they like your style more than the particular item. If they visit your shop, either on the market place or inworld, and find out you have nothing, they'll go elsewhere.

So don't worry about enhanced listings right now, just focus on building. What you have is great, you just need more of it.

Toysoldier Thor wrote:

some stuff that made certain assumptions...

A few things Toy... I browse the enhanced items, not because i'm bored but because i'm busy.  It's a time thing.  I can't be bothered to hack my way through the search.  Try it for "formal gown", there are 3286 pages of results.

I can quickly exclude merchants by setting my permissions choice to mod/copy and that brings it down to 1129, set a price that excludes free items, say minimum of L$500 to L$5000 and i'm left with 338 pages.

I can't be bothered to scan past more than a few so YES, the smart creators that advertise are likely to catch my attention, which is the point of advertising.

Do I buy their enhanced item? unlikely, i'm likely going to buy something else.  Does it increase their overall sales?  I don't know but it doesn't hurt it does it?  Tell me a situation when advertising your items has been counter productive to your branding or sales.

As for your challenge, it's pointless.  I haven't claimed that enhancements increase my sales or that they would increase yours, I don't bother trying to analyse to that degree.  I do know my trends both inworld and MP but what I have said is that it's also about branding not just month on month increase on sales.  Sorry if you didn't understand that.

It would be very interesting to use the OPs product as an example of experimenting with marketing. Higher prims to boot might make it that much more of a fun challenge, heheh. Awesome looking product and great graphics, though. Poor OP started getting derailed from the first post.

Sorry about swinging that who's got the bigger profit and professional stick, because that's not the only thing being a Merchant in SL is all about for many people, and it's obnoxious if not understood. But right, you take good business advise from people who have a handle on good business, especially when the scope of the conversation involves "how to run a corporation" ;)

Problem is what happens to the quality of the conversation as you work through the misfires of that fun experiment to get to the working bits.

Starting with a premise of advertising not working though, because "I" haven't made it work though and then proving that it doesn't work in spite of successes... twilight zone.

Mentioned SLPro, wish you'd been able to get in on that, puts many discussions in perspective. 5, 6 and 7 figure earners there with positive energy and networking and sharing tips. We've got some great successful Merchants here in our midst, but haven't seen many of those others ever post on the forums. Same gripes about SL issues, but night and day. Night ... and ... day.

Shameless plug for LL to bring back SLPro.

Don't you dare take those valentines day things down, it's professionally unprofessional. Off the wall thing, we used to joke about selling snowballs to southern states, and actually did it as an experiment, it worked pretty darn well. That is if you want to incur the legal liability for someone getting crocked in the head by iceballs when they don't properly care for their snowballs. But otherwise, every day is valentines day for someone. :)

To clarify; I, at least, have not claimed that listing enhancements can't possibly ever work.

My suggestion of using the new function on Tribe.net is specifically to help where listing enhancements have already not worked for someone, although I'll be happy to help other merchants there as well.

The pizza comment was pretty weird. Even with my dirt-cheap prices, no promotions, and LL staying up at night brainstorming new ways to make things "almost work correctly" faster than I can adapt, a really good pizza would be no problem at all, even at the ends of my worst months here so far.

Vert conservatively speaking, though, I could easily be bringing in twice as much monthly if every other day here didn't seem to be some new "anomalous" perfect storm of LL clu$terphukks.

Some days everything just goes fine and I make several times what I normally make.

Why can't most days just be OK like that?

And why is it, the more I do to accomodate LL stepping on its own dick, the more, yet, I always seem to have to do?

Listing enhancements are a can of worms I should consider opening only after I have been able to put all the other LL worms back into their respective cans.

But when is that?

I want to thank you Mylar, for your observation on visiting my inWorld store. I had no idea the display was not clear. As a consequence, a friend is going to come over and help me address this issue. My strategy was to keep the MarketPlace store very simple, but it sounds like I had that in reverse. My friend is also encouraging me to put up more products. I already paid for enhancements for the upcoming week, but may wait a bit before renewing. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4677 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.