Someone Won't Give a Friend's Password Back.. Help

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4663 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello,

I am wondering if anyone can suggest a solution to this major problem?

A friend of mine became ill and had a 10 stay in the hospital... he gave his password to a trusted friend (?), to handle his business on sl .. mainly to pay the tier on his land and manage renters on the land. My friend is at home now and recovering from surgery... he asked his friend tonight for the password.. and this friend said NO .. the password has been changed.

Is there anything that can be done in this situation????

Thank you,

Fae

tell them to log on, and do "i forgot my password" which will start the password reset process. after all you friend is still the owner of the account. unless you friend used their own c/c to pay the tiers. if it your friend c/card, then your friend should also change passwords and numbers for everything

Once your friend has recovered his avatar, he must never, ever give his password to someone again.  The better solution is to add an officer to his group to manage things when he is not available. 

He can make arrangements with the land owner to cover such a scenario if it happens again.  If he has been a consistent and reliable tier payer, it should be no big deal.  If his tier is owed to LL, it should come out of his account automatically.

Anyway, lesson learned.

Ditto what madman said. Never give your password out period. You can not imagine the amount of people I have seen stabbed in the back in sl by so called "best friends". If you give someone access to your account just expect to never use it again. Sl may help you, but I wouldn't bet money on it since you willingly gave them the password.

That being said I have done exactly what I said not to do. (Do as I say, not as I do lol). My inworld boss and business partner has all my info incase I for some reason bail on sl or something happens to me in real life. But my account doesn't have a valid credit card linked to it so there is no damage to be done that way. The worst that could happen is she could take over my account and I wouldn't be able to access it anymore. In my case if that were to happen I would either use one of my other accounts or just walk away from sl and find something better to do with my life.

that would make you the hipocrit then would'nt it, and in that case you shouldn't be giving advise to anyone, no matter what you intentions......lead by example.that said, you should never "trust" anyone in sl unless you know who they are and can get you hands around their throat (physically) BUT, this person made the mistake, and i am sure they are well aware of the consequences (than you for all the mr and mrs obvious for you stupid comments) this person just asked for help, not you opinionated tudes, so back away, i hope they have already repaired the damage and getting on with Slife.

hyp·o·crite
   
noun
a person who pretends to have virtues, moral or religious beliefs, principles, etc., that he or she does not actually possess, especially a person whose actions belie stated beliefs.
a person who feigns some desirable or publicly approved attitude, especially one whose private life, opinions, or statements belie his or her public statements. 

According to that definition, no it doesn't make me a hypocrite, nor does it discredit my advice.

I would look at more as I am a person with first hand knowledge of the dangers of doing it, which makes me more qualified to give the advice than someone that has never done it.

In my case I know the person I gave my info to very well and had good reasons to do it. Still doesn't change the risk involved in doing it.

"(than you for all the mr and mrs obvious for you stupid comments) this person just asked for help, not you opinionated tudes, so back away, i hope they have already repaired the damage and getting on with Slife."

And your post helps this thread in what way? Other than to try and make someone else look bad? All you did was insult me and state the obvious like everyone else.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4663 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.