How do I make textures rezz faster?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4613 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

it's not a setting that I'm aware of, but rather changes in the internal pipeline that produce differences between V1x and V2x viewers at the same settings... one of which is SSE2 code which gives more options to doing certain tasks more directly.

draw distance, quality settings, cache size, and bandwidth are the things you can manipulate within the viewers to tweak time to rez. hardware wise, CPU support, video card, and a solid high volume ISP are also contributing factors.

if you're asking from the perspective of a builder... use smaller textures. There is almost no circumstance in SL that requires a texture larger than 512x512. In fact most textures, particularly for attachments, can top out at 256x256.

Skins and clothing textures should NEVER be larger than 512x512. Because the client loads all the layers, and then "bakes" a flattened composite image that it sends to the server for distribution to everyone around you. That composite texture is 512x512, so using higher resolution clothing/skin textures REALLY is just wasted effort that makes loading those textures take longer.

Similarly, the largest a sculpt map should ever be is 64x64. (oblong sculpts should be 128x32 or 256x16 or 512x8, etc) You gain absolutely NOTHING by making your sculpt maps 128x128 or larger.

if your comparing v2 to tpv's such as Phoenix then v2 uses the kdu decoder, though i find it slower than Phoenix on my laptop, i find firestorm a lil bit slower than phoenix as well^^

Edit to add v2 i think uses HTTP Get textures that may be a factor, i turn it off coz i find it slower on my pc

• 2 weeks later...

The difference is the option for HTTP textures in the 2 versions which 1 does not have.

In V2 It is found under the Developer Menu. First activate the Advanced menu (Ctrl+Alt+D, then activate the Developer Menu. Both menus can also be activated via Preferences (Ctrl+P).

HTTP textures does load textures faster for some and for some it slows down. In my case it slows down terribly; so turning them off for me speeds up a lot (so V1 is a whole lot faster for me). For you perhaps if turned on in V2. Check that in the Advanced menu in V2.

What else you can do is reduce draw distance and not use water shadows.

Another important thing is to set your bandwith in the SL preferences to 1000. It really makes no sense at all to set a higher value since SL hardly ever goes over 1000 (Torley has a tutorial about it even), and you can see this clearly happen under the statistics floater in all viewers (Ctrl+Shift+1). Setting bandwith too high will even slow down load due to packet loss. Just keep it at 1000 as an optimum.

Best of luck :smileyhappy:

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4613 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.