Vehicles category?

Paul Hexem

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4635 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Is it me, or does it seem like the vehicles category needs to be futher sub-categorized?

For example... Looking for boats under the VEHICLE category, I find thousand prim, non-drivable yachts, for example. Sure, it's technically a water vehicle in RL, but should it be under the vehicle category in SL?

And maybe it's me, but I have this one pet peeve... An attachment isn't a vehicle. It's an attachment. Vehicles are 32 prims. If I can't do it in 32 prims or less, I generally rethink my design. Or I start sculpting. Or both.

Gadget Portal wrote:

Is it me, or does it seem like the vehicles category needs to be futher sub-categorized?

For example... Looking for boats under the VEHICLE category, I find thousand prim, non-drivable yachts, for example. Sure, it's technically a water vehicle in RL, but should it be under the
vehicle
category in SL?

There is a category for non driveable boats. If these are under Vehicles they are under the wrong category. Non driveable boats should be under Home and Gardens - Decor - Static/Display Vehicles - Boats.

Gadget Portal wrote:

And maybe it's me, but I have this one pet peeve... An attachment isn't a vehicle. It's an attachment. Vehicles are 32 prims. If I can't do it in 32 prims or less, I generally rethink my design. Or I start sculpting. Or both.

As for an attachment not being a vehicle? I have a sailing ship where 30 prims is the ship and about 50 prims is an attachment. You jump in it and you sail off. The attachment is simply a way of getting around the 32 prim limit for physical vehicles. It's a tool, like sculpting. If you can drive, sail or fly in an item it is a vehicle. How it's built is not an issue. Look up the definition of the word vehicle.

I think an attachment vehicle can still be a vehicle, as long as it has some sort of engine base used in conjunction with the attachment. If it has no engine, that is cheesy yes! :matte-motes-big-grin-squint:

I've made some proper two-seater vehicles that (if you do not use the attachment) appear invisible while driving. Using an attachment is a handy way to bust through that vehicle prim limit. Without this technique many vehicles designs would be impossible, or enormously simplified to the point it becomes a sorry reduction of original concept.

• 3 weeks later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4635 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.