How do I fix my spell check?

Charolotte Caxton

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4529 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

In these forums, my autocorrect fixes my mistakes, but when I tell it my mistake is valid (learn) it no longer fixes my mistakes. I have made a mistake, how do I fix it?

edit to add: spell check. it is called spell check. I added a word to my dictionary by pressing learn instead of ignore or replace, but now I would like to remove it.

test test: I am Charolotte I I I I

yayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

problem solved!!

solution: must clear cookies and THEN restart computer! lol yay!

Thanks so much Void and Luc and everyone else whom offered assistance!

25 answers to this question

Darned if I know, Charolotte.  I have to be the world's clumsiest typist (two fingers and a thumb for the spacebar), so I have to go back and edit everything before I post.  I don't trust the spellchecker, either, for the reason you noted.  If you figure it out, let me know, OK? 

• Like 1

Hm, I use Windows7 and Google Chrome, but I think the spell check is a forums thing? For instance, if I am not in the forums, my browser (Chrome) auto corrects, or suggests corrections, for me, whereas in here, I have to press the spell check button before posting, (try it) and it gives me options like, replace, ignore or learn. well, if I say learn, it never ever tries to correct me again, hence my predicament :(

ps, chrome does suggest corrections in the permalinks! :)

NOW I see what you mean!!! Boy, I'm slow :o:(.

When you say it suggests corrections in the permalinks, you mean in the comment field, right? The spellcheck that is performed on this field I'm pretty sure is done by the web-browser, but the one in the Rich text editing field is done by a spell checker built in to the forum software. You are totally right!

I guess the one in the forum software is an addon that can be used with the tool that give us the RichText features. It may be this spellchecker *has* to be used because no browser spellcheck works with a rich text field (which is not really a field at all). Anyways, it does not seem you can remove words you have added to the list. Sorry, I guess you have to use Rolig's method when posting...

- Luc -

I don't think there is. I had a look in the html code, and found a 'Delete' button. I managed to enable it to try it but all it did was delete the word I was spellchecking from the text. That's one way of doing it, I guess If a word might be spelled wrong; Remove it!. :D

I found no other option for removing words that have been added to the word list. :( Sorry!

You could try doing what I do - Ignore misspellings :) (Well, some of them anyway)

- Luc -

Well, i have grown rather fond of my spell checker, it lets me type quicklier and then just go back and fix my typos, usually, but the one word that i loved it fixing for me and the cause of all my woes is I.

I, as in me. Usually, i dont bother to capitalize words, like ever, spell check does this for me. Well, in a rush of sorts i told it that lower case i was acceptable, and now i have to go back and change each and every I I use, and being as self absorbed as I am, I tend to use I a lot and it's such a small word that it becomes very difficult to click on it to correct it. :( :(

I can see that being a problem.

You could add a post about the missing possibility of removing words from the list to the community feedback forum, and perhaps also to the Community user group meeting agenda. Things often get fixed after having been brought to the Lindens attention this way :)

- Luc -

Really? I didn't know about all that, I was hoping there was an easy fix, such as, why yes, Charolotte, just push this button. :) if I don't get an answer then, yes, I shall have to address this at a meeting. For now, I have discovered a magic button on my keyboard that Capitalizes Words For Me! I always just thought it was for camera control :I

I was pointed to this question so I'll take a stab. I *think* changes you make to the lithium spellchecker are saved per user in a cookie. if so deleting the cookies for this site *should* reset the dictionary to the default.

other product like AfterTheDeadline and most built in spellcheckers have their on dictionary, which is usually accessible by menu or a text file in the program directory.

PS
please don't kudo this if it's right, I'm trying to avoid having my icon change =P

• Like 1

I did a little bit of checking and if I'm not mistaken, words added to the list are not stored in cookies.

I tried spellchecking a post of mine using Chrome, adding a couple of words to the list. After adding the words using Chrome, I opened the post for editing in Safari and did the spell check again. The spell checker did not stop on the words I added while using Chrome, meaning the words were available across browsers, independently of cookies.

And now I too have a word on the list I can't get rid of :(

- Luc -

Great! Charolotte. Glad you got it sorted out! :)

But why did my check give me a result that indicated the words were stored differently? Two different web browsers, two different set of cookies... Unless Chrome and Safari share cookies? Void - do you have any more insight on this?

- Luc -

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4529 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.