Why is Second Life so phenomenally user unfriendly?

RadicallyDreaming

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4673 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I just tried Second Life for the first time. I tried editing my appearance. The program would not let me put a right shoe back on. I selected "designer shoe" and clicked "wear" and nothing happened. How did this program ever become popular? And how come it hasn't been beaten by a competitor with a user friendly version of the same thing?

EDIT:

Jessika Rang wrote:

many people drop out in the initial stages. 

OH GEE I WONDER WHY. See, you guys can make snide remarks all you want. I know this isn't actually supposed to be a game, but have you ever played an MMO? Or any virtual existence type thing that allows you to customize the garments of an avatar? They have this system where you select the clothing in question, you match it up with the corresponding body part...and then your are wearing that item. It's genius, and it has always been done better than in Second Life, where you navigate a bunch of menus, click on "wear shoe" and nothing happens. People drop out in the initial stages because the interface is horribly designed, or at least that's one of the reasons.

Just get someone from the development staff to download any free-to-play MMO, copy the interface, and Second Life will instantly be a better, more accessible product. When that happens, maybe I'll stick around. For now, I'll forgo having an ugly, poorly designed virtual existence and "carry on" with my first one.

11 answers to this question

Welcome to sl and.... have Patience... SL is graphically challenging on your computer (everything takes quite awhile to load) and has a bit of a steep learning curve... many people drop out in the initial stages.  But if you stick around it can be very rewarding and fun... most people who have been here awhile love things like building, live music venues, socializing and exploring the vast sl world.  Hope you stick around!

• Like 2

There are many good people here who will go out of their way to help you RadicallyDreaming.

From the replies I've read, I don't feel that anyone has spoken indirectly or in a derogatory fashion towards you.

Your comments, concerns and input are welcomed and valued here at the Forum.

I rarely attempt to try and answer clothing/wardrobe questions because building is my speciality. There might be 100 ways to wear a shoe in SL. The ability to adjust and tailor almost every aspect of Second Life is what makes this platform superior to any other system on earth. SL is years ahead of the game. None can match the quantity of digital content to that of Second Life.

If you're still having a problem with that shoe I could try to help. Sometimes a shoe is a sculpted prim or has textures that take a second to load when worn for the first time. Once you wear it the shoe will be "cached" on your pc, makes it load faster.     

• Like 1

I understand things can seem very challenging at first but you have the intelligence to get the hang of things.  If you check your Dashboard page, you will see on the bottom right that Torley Linden has made many fine instructional videos to help new residents get over some humps.  Sometimes making mistakes can be fun, too.  That is all part of learning.  Even if you 'accidently' delete something, it only goes to your trash folder from which you can restore the item if you like (as long as you have not emptied your trash folder).

Those that respond to you on this Answer forum are residents just like you and are willing to help you overcome obstacles.

Have a bit of patience and you can have a wonderful SL.

I hate to break it to you but this is the user friendly version :D

I recommend that you simply ask for assistance, like we all did starting out.  For example, many people would be happy to help you out getting your avie set up.

To answer your question as to why SL is so user unfriendly, it has to do a lot with options.  The more options that one has to chose from quite often come with the "price" of added complexity.  Most people like SL the way it is (or was anyway).  Attempts to "simplify" the platform would almost certainly remove features and options that most enjoy (after a bit of a learnig curve). 

Now, granted, SL could be made easier to use to a certain extent but if taking a few minutes (or hours) learning a new entertaining passtime does not appeal to you, then perhaps this isn't the right thing for you.  Not every passtime is appropriate for every individual.  An attempt to make SL into a place that pleases everyone will instead make it into a place that pleases no one.

• Like 3

RadicallyDreaming wrote:

I know this isn't actually supposed to be a game, but have you ever played an MMO? Or any virtual existence type thing that allows you to customize the garments of an avatar? They have this system where you select the clothing in question, you match it up with the corresponding body part...and then your are wearing that item. It's genius, and it has always been done better than in Second Life, where you navigate a bunch of menus, click on "wear shoe" and nothing happens.

Few if any of those MMOs have any user-created content, which rely on asset servers, which... yes, hiccup at times. Can't put on a shoe? Try again. Or try a different shoe. Don't blame it on the interface.

Every program ever made has a learning curve.  Even a simple program such as a web browser.  Most people who have an interest will learn how to use the program..........the others will leave.  The more advanced the program the higher the learning curve.  Second Life is fairly advanced for the average Internet user.  It's not some elaborate chat room (though many people use it that way).  You can do things in SL that you cannot do in any other program and that makes it more "complicated".......it makes for an interface that is foriegn to most.  It's dynamic with constant changes (improvements, added features, dropping features.........any number or changes.  Some good, some bad).  If anyone wants to "succeed" in SL they have to have an interest..........that interest will overcome that "user unfriendly" aspect that some people feel when they start.

I can think of another program that is percieved as "user unfriendly".  GIMP.  The interface sucked for me when I first started trying to use it.  I got extremely frustrated with trying to do anything with it..........and everyone said it's as powerful as Photoshop (but free compared to $800 USD...........I had no choice).  I had an interest.  I learned the interface.  I learned how to do things.  I "mastered" the program.  Now, for me, the interface is easy and intuitive, it's every bit as powerful as I'd heard.  I wouldn't trade if someone gave me a full and legal copy of Photoshop.  I use Paint.NET on occassion too.........and that interface and the abilities of that program "suck for me.  That's simply because I have no interest in that program.  No use bitching about it.............I know why it sucks for me.  I also know why others think it's the best graphics editing program on the Internet.  To each their own.

Learn SL, learn the interface, and get to know what SL will do for you.  If it is not for you, what did you loose?  It's free, so only the time spent.  If you can't find the time or you think your time  is too important then you don't have the interest to continue.  If you put an effort to learning, you may just figure out "it's the best virtual world on the Internet"...........or maybe not.:matte-motes-big-grin:

• Like 2

oh. thank you. I remember when i was a second life baby and I didnt know how to do anything. i would wander up to people and ask all sorts of questions. then i discovered the forums and asked a lot a lot of questions. the fun part was that people were actually happy to help and i now know why. helping others get through the tough times helps everyone, including ourselves.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4673 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.