User Name

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4719 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I dont see why the creators of secondlife havent made a change user name feature even if they charged for it like 5$ us id gladly pay to get it changed the other reason i dont get why this is'nt already a feature is because almost all secondlife items that are made in good quality like realistic skins etc good outfits that cost hundreds of thousands of lindens are all none transferable weather bought in game or via marketplace

and lastly i just hate being called by rocker when ive obviously changed my name to dani

I can understand your frustration when others call you by the name you gave yourself when you signed up for SL.  You are using 'Dani' as a display name and not all avatars have the 'show display name' feature turned on.  Such is life! 

Many items, especially on Marketplace, but also inworld, can be purchased as transferable for gift giving. 

Anyway, try not to sweat the small stuff and enjoy your SL!

I`m starting to feel that having the second name "Resident" is actually worth something. It's a poor cousin to a real second name but its all we have.

So when i look up at my name on a competition board and see "Chronometria Resident", then at least i am vaguely like all the other folks with their flashy surnames.

I too have an alt with the last name resident and in fact, wanted it so I could choose a last name.  However, the purpose as we where told, was to enable better role playing which is clearly a dying art that few participate in.  Linden Labs knows this I am sure so the question remains, why did they go to a new system?  No one will ever know I am sure as their turn over is so fast, the person who made that call is probably gone by now.  I would say that 90% of the people I know in SL have never done real role played and never will.

That being said, we are here with this new system and it does need fine tuning.  Whatever your "role play" name is, you SHOULD be able to still select a first and last name that is pertinent.  And, that name needs to carry through to everything so that you don't become jon.resident and john.resident. 

Just makes it more confusing.

lol ok but my forum has nothing to do with resident being next to the name it has to do with the main user name

i wish you could change the sign up name because all my stuff is none transferable so i cant just make a new account id lose everything the stuff that cost hundreds of thousands of lidens

even if i had to pay to change it id like to see that feature and would gladly pay

o.O You must have liked that name to make it your username. Just because you're regretting it now doesnt mean that there should be any extra measures made to bennefit you. I'm sure alot of people would like to change their name, but just do what everyone else does: Make another account.

Items that are no transfer are like that for a reason. Many people like to be able to modify and copy their items. For instance, an AO. You could buy 1 AO and put certain animations in it, then make a second with different animations for when you're needing something different. Like models. They use an AO normally for every day and then an AO for runways specifically. The no transfer is just the creater's way of making sure you're not selling/giving out multiples of that object. Things are either no copy or they're no transfer. Thats just the way it is.

One of the exasperating things about SL is that LL does thing like refusing to change account names and making all new accounts have the last name "Resident" that seemingly make no sense and refuses to explain why.

As you point out, they could even make some money by charging to change names.  I don't know if they still do it, but they used to let RL celebrities have their real name in SL for a fee.  Why not let everyone, if the name is available?

IMHO, they would have done much better to allow spaces in user names, require at least one, require at least one character after the last space, and make whatever followed the last space the last name.

One cannot expect a first-time users to understand at the time she signs up how the user name will be used in SL, and, particularly, that it will be hanging over her head for a lot of residents.  After all, most user names in other contexts are little if any more than login credentials.  Further, since most of the "good" names are already taken, it can be frustrating to try to find something reasonable that is not.

However, the purpose as we where told, was to enable better role playing which is clearly a dying art that few participate in.

Hmmm.   I'm not sure why you would say that roleplay was "clearly a dying art".  My understanding is that various kinds of roleplay have always been extremely popular in SL.  Like you, i would say that 90% of the people i personally know in SL don't roleplay, but that doesn't mean there aren't many people who do.  It really depends on where you go and whom you mix with.  Travel further afield and i guarantee that you and i both could find roleplayers a-plenty. :matte-motes-kiss:

Changing the unique name on a complex system can, but not always, cause problems. There will be link type things everywhere and all through the databases. Most likely something will not work as expected, software has bugs.

It's better to avoid it (on the system ) so avoid all the hassle altogether. If a user can't make a good name, so be it.

There really ought to be a clear warning during the sign up process against choosing a gibberish username.

The importance of usernames cannot be understated and should be emphasised cleary during registration; they are the only readily identifiable constant in a world where everything else can be changed with a few clicks of the mouse.

Display names are in many respects useless and irritating. As they can only be changed weekly, they're of no use to someone who wishes to switch into and out of roleplay. They add unnecessary clutter to the screen. Few are suddenly going to start addressing you as "Tom", if that is your whim of the moment, when they have known you as "Theresa" for several months or years. Others have little or no interest that your partner for this week has the surname "Jones" or that your partner of last week had the surname "Smith". And to all Janes out there. Whilst you may think yourself sufficiently well-known to call yourself just "Jane", trust me when I say most of us know at least half a dozen Janes who hold a similar view!  

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4719 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.