Are there any web based tools for me to access SL just for chat on my Chrome OS notebook?

Buttacwup Float

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4222 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I am getting a new Chrome OS notebook to try out and I have been looking for a web based, IM only client that I could use on that computer. I cannot install Libretto or any of the other software download based tools. It looks like there was a web client available sometime back, but it appears it is no longer accessible. Anyone have any suggestions?

So it looks like the answer is No then. There is not a web based, IM only client available for Second Life. 

4 answers to this question

if you're getting a chrome book from what i understand you can't download anything unless it's on the chrome webstore. from videos i've seen of the chrome books they just start up to the chrome browser you can get apps but can't install regular programs
if the chrome os get's popular enough i'm sure some clever viewer dev will make something for chrome 

The only web-based SL client never made it out of initial public testing, and never could use normal accounts or have full access to the virtual world. You had to create a new account specific to that web client, and it could only travel to certain pre-selected destinations on the grid. A failed idea.

Even if you could find a downloadable app or web-based tool for your limited-use Chrome notebook, Netbook, Nook, Kindle, iPad or other limited-use device, it is unlikely in the extreme that it would have the graphics processing power to even consider accessing SL in a viable fashion. Things like that Chrome Notebook and the netbooks are only really designed as glorified e-book readers, with a little capability to surf the web and send and receive e-mail. If it doesn't allow you to load a normal application for a normal OS, think very carefully before you spend any money on it. You'll very likely be disappointed if you ever want to exceed the limited capabilities that you see at first.

If you want to access SL, get a real laptop, and make sure it's a "gaming rig", with very high end graphics and not restricted to a low end chipset on the laptop's motherboard. Limited use devices are lousy for accessing high end games or virtual worlds.

I have two Chromebooks and they are real laptops. Here are the companies making Chromebooks & Chrome Boxes: Acer, Samsung, HP, Lenovo, and now Google Pixel.

I was on the Pilot program two years ago and Chrome OS has come a long way since then and the Cloud is the future of computing. I used to use Secondlife and recently signed up again with a new username. I hope someone out there that knows programming and makes a viewer that can run within the Chrome Browser that also can run on Chrome OS or makes an App that accomplishes this.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4222 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.