Confused about PBR and Mobile and how stuff works

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 74 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Ok, not doing PBR  on my laptop. Was reading about mobile --which I assume will "see" PBR right off  -Question:  in a non-tech-y way --- how can a tiny phone see PBR and yet it bakes a laptop? Does the phone become a piece of hot coal?

If I go to a busy place- like a shopping event or large store I have to TP in and out a few times to get mesh to render. Does mobile have that issue?

4 minutes ago, Cam Mode said:

Ok, not doing PBR  on my laptop. Was reading about mobile --which I assume will "see" PBR right off  -Question:  in a non-tech-y way --- how can a tiny phone see PBR and yet it bakes a laptop? Does the phone become a piece of hot coal?

If I go to a busy place- like a shopping event or large store I have to TP in and out a few times to get mesh to render. Does mobile have that issue?

Someone waaaaaay more knowledgeable will show up shortly to correct me, but I think the mobile app uses entirely its different rendering system.

Also, it CAN bake some older phones I think.

• Thanks 1

I'm not way more knowledgeable but can confirm that the mobile viewer doesn't see PBR (yet?) I have a test build that I made "pure" PBR with no fallback Blinn-Phong materials, and it's a pretty simple space in the mobile viewer! It's worth noting, though, PBR is far from the only thing missing from rendering on mobile, at least for now.

Haven't noticed my Pixel 7a nor older iPad Air getting particularly warm, neither of which is super high-powered by today's standards. They do burn some battery while using SL, enough to notice after a while but nothing that unusual.

Although I've seen it in Firestorm, I haven't noticed the need to TP in/out of a store to get stuff rez with other viewers, nor with mobile, but mobile can be very slow to rez avatars including your own, which it seems to do from scratch at every teleport.

• Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Qie Niangao said:

I'm not way more knowledgeable

Yes you are. Stop being so modest!

3 minutes ago, Qie Niangao said:

can confirm that the mobile viewer doesn't see PBR (yet?)

That's a bit wild. So, their two new Shinies don't play together yet?

4 minutes ago, Qie Niangao said:

Although I've seen it in Firestorm, I haven't noticed the need to TP in/out of a store to get stuff rez with other viewers, nor with mobile, but mobile can be very slow to rez avatars including your own, which it seems to do from scratch at every teleport.

I had a problem a bit like this with mobile, as I think I mentioned earlier. No amount of waiting was going to rez either my avatar nor my surroundings, I think.

Just now, Scylla Rhiadra said:

So, their two new Shinies don't play together yet?

The mobile Shiny is such a strange combination of delight and disappointment I don't know what to make of it, but I certainly assume it's intended to get PBR rendering if it's to survive at all. I hate to come off sounding skeptical but I haven't seen any progress… on the other hand, I've just assumed it will automatically update itself from the Play/App Store but don't know for sure.

5 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I had a problem a bit like this with mobile, as I think I mentioned earlier. No amount of waiting was going to rez either my avatar nor my surroundings, I think.

One that gets me almost every time is teleporting to a new destination within the region. The only escape I've found is to teleport elsewhere and then back—if only there were a "back" teleport button. (This is weird. The alt I use to test mobile reported this bug and got an email about it, but now when I follow the link the report is gone from Canny.)

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Cam Mode said:

I was burned at the stake for asking a similar question the other day. Apparently, our laptops are designed to get that hot. I don't know about phones, though. Probably, if the power goes out you will be able to boot-up SL on your mobile app to stay warm. Eventually, survive types will even recommend using SL on mobile as an efficient way to start campfires and cook meals. Okej, so I'm being super dumb. I want to know also. I still use a flip-phone. I'm assuming I will need to upgrade it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Cam Mode said:

Question:  in a non-tech-y way --- how can a tiny phone see PBR and yet it bakes a laptop?

It doesn't. MobileLife Fail-Viewer is obvious fail.

Does the phone become a piece of hot coal?

Only if you start the app and log in. Under normal non-usage, EVERYTHING is just FINE!

A simple and effective solution has been found for this problem.

Don't render anything properly! Problem solved.

2 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

That's a bit wild. So, their two new Shinies don't play together yet?

I actually mentioned the irony of LL having one plan to bring in a vast untapped new market with PBR, and another separate plan to bring in a vat untapped new market with a MobileLife Fail-Viewer that can't see PBR, and will dump noobs into a blank white untextured wilderness with lots of invisible things it can't render at all, quite some time ago, in this very forum, when I pointed out THERE IS NO Grand Plan, just a whole mess of devs working on separate projects at cross purposes to each other.

Edited by Zalificent Corvinus
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 74 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.