When Buying Land , is there a way to tell Residential from Commercial?

paleontol99

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4693 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Hello,  Thankyou if anyone can help. Im new.   If Im looking for land, is there a way to tell Residential from Commercial. I ask cause I see many residences for sale but so far, I havent seen any that are strickly commercial.  Im sure I just have not come across any yet. 

If I buy a residential property on the MAINLAND, can I put a Commercial Sign on it? Or would that be off limits?   Im looking to advertise my webpage but wish to stay within rules.  Thanks for any help.

3 answers to this question

Before you buy any land, always go there, stand on the land, and read the covenant for the region/estate.  If there are restrictions about commercial use -- there are on the sim where I live -- that's where you will find them.  If there are none, you can usually assume that it's OK to set up a business.  Even so, it's wise to look around carefully and see how the land is actually used.   If there's any doubt, get clarification in writing before you buy.

• Like 1

If it is mainland there is no Covenant, you can use the land for whatever you want, but obviously for a successful business it is helpful to have other buisnesses around so that you can benefit from their customers being in the area. The exception would be the Linden home sims, you cannot use them commercially.

For private estates it is entirely up to the sim owner & they do quite often have a covenant or rental agreement specifying their rules.

• Like 1

Here's the "Official" LL take on advertising on Mainland:

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Linden_Lab_Official:Policy_on_ad_farms_and_network_advertisers

I know the title of the Wike article seems to relate to ad farms and network advertisers.  But read the article and you find what is allowed (or disallowed) for any sign any resident puts up.   That portion of the article is under the section "Advertising Rules and Restrictions".

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4693 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.