PSA for people looking for LockGuard scripts/info...

Heyo, the LockGuard creator here...

I notice that people out there are, sometimes, recommending the old Wiki for LockGuard-- and I get messages occasionally in-world for help with LockGuard V2, and once in a blue moon V1. If you're looking for LockGuard scripts/info... do not use the scripts/information on the old Second LIfe Wikipedia page. That is like a decade outdated. Yes, they will still work because LockGuard was designed with backward compatibility in mind. BUT... please use LockGuard V3 instead. LockGuard V3 is 1 script per attachment; regardless of your link point numbers, instead of 1 script per point, and it doesn't use notecards any more, along with some additional features.

LockGuard will always be available for free, it will always continue to be open source and royalty free for both personal and commercial use, and I do keep updating it as time goes on. The kit contains everything necessary to get started; code samples, sample cuffs, oodles of documentation, etc. Even the LockGuard script, itself, is neat and tidy and thickly commented.🤓

LockGuard V3 has been around for several years; so if you're still rockin' LGV2, I really recommend updating everything to V3 if you haven't yet, just for the script count savings, especially if you're running attachments with multiple points. And if you're using LGV1... why? 😨

In other news, LockGuard V4 is now on the "To Do" list for release (I've been carefully considering what features would be beneficial w/o bloat over a very long period of time)... but V4 also won't be a necessary upgrade from 3. It will just have additional "nice to have" features.

So again, if you're using any version of LockGuard below 3, I would reeeeeeeally recommend updating to 3 if you haven't, either way.

Keep on creating! :)

💖

• Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, Lillani Lowell said:

Heyo, the LockGuard creator here...

I notice that people out there are, sometimes, recommending the old Wiki for LockGuard-- and I get messages occasionally in-world for help with LockGuard V2, and once in a blue moon V1. If you're looking for LockGuard scripts/info... do not use the scripts/information on the old Second LIfe Wikipedia page. That is like a decade outdated. Yes, they will still work because LockGuard was designed with backward compatibility in mind. BUT... please use LockGuard V3 instead. LockGuard V3 is 1 script per attachment; regardless of your link point numbers, instead of 1 script per point, and it doesn't use notecards any more, along with some additional features.

LockGuard will always be available for free, it will always continue to be open source and royalty free for both personal and commercial use, and I do keep updating it as time goes on. The kit contains everything necessary to get started; code samples, sample cuffs, oodles of documentation, etc. Even the LockGuard script, itself, is neat and tidy and thickly commented.🤓

LockGuard V3 has been around for several years; so if you're still rockin' LGV2, I really recommend updating everything to V3 if you haven't yet, just for the script count savings, especially if you're running attachments with multiple points. And if you're using LGV1... why? 😨

In other news, LockGuard V4 is now on the "To Do" list for release (I've been carefully considering what features would be beneficial w/o bloat over a very long period of time)... but V4 also won't be a necessary upgrade from 3. It will just have additional "nice to have" features.

So again, if you're using any version of LockGuard below 3, I would reeeeeeeally recommend updating to 3 if you haven't, either way.

Keep on creating! :)

💖

If somebody has to post to a forum that the wiki is outdated, then that wiki is not being administered properly.  LL really needs to open the LSL wiki to public editing.  Maybe open edits, with human review would be best.  It's just too big, and too important a job, for the people who are maintaining it now.

11 minutes ago, Bubblesort Triskaidekaphobia said:

If somebody has to post to a forum that the wiki is outdated, then that wiki is not being administered properly.  LL really needs to open the LSL wiki to public editing.  Maybe open edits, with human review would be best.  It's just too big, and too important a job, for the people who are maintaining it now.

I'm not sure which page is supposed to be the "Second Life Wikipedia page", but Lock Guard is not in SL's own LSL Script Library at https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Category:LSL_Library and I don't see it in our own script library here in the forums at https://community.secondlife.com/forums/forum/305-lsl-library/. The Wikipedia entry for Second Life does not point to scripts at all.  It doesn't seem to be anything we could edit, wherever it is.

1 hour ago, Qie Niangao said:

I'd assume it's this page under discussion: https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/LSL_Protocol/LockGuard (so a Second Life wiki page, not Wikipedia)

Aha!  I see it now.  It didn't come up when I did a similar search.  That page was probably created by the OP originally, but I can't tell because that information is not in the record.  As the note on the page says:

KBcaution.png

Important: This page has been imported from a archived copy of LSL Wiki and may need cleaning up.

It looks like it was imported from archive on 20 January 2017. Anyone with wiki access could update it, I suppose, but it would be reckless for anyone but the OP to make those changes. The easy solution is simply for @Lillani Lowell to submit a support case requesting wiki access.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bubblesort Triskaidekaphobia said:

Getting edit access to the wiki is not difficult, you can write a one-sentence support ticket for it.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Qie Niangao said:

I'd assume it's this page under discussion: https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/LSL_Protocol/LockGuard (so a Second Life wiki page, not Wikipedia)

[Edit: That's just what came up when I searched the wiki for "Lockguard", so I may well have misunderstood this thread.]

That is the primary culprit, yeah.

It is still valid for LG2, just not for 3.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

Getting edit access to the wiki is not difficult, you can write a one-sentence support ticket for it.

You make it sounds easy, but I'm skeptical.  Here's a direct quote from the Editing Guidelines page, under the How Can I Contribute heading:

2019: For some time who can create in and edit the wiki has been limited due to general abuse of the privileges. You might build cred attending user group meetings. If you log into the wiki and see you do not have edit privileges, you'll need to request them by emailing letmein@lindenlab.com. Please send them a polite email asking for editing permission.

I don't want to build cred with some nerd club.  I have enough friends, thank you very much.  I just want to write scripts, and make cool stuff, and if I find a place in the documentation that I can help with, I want to be able to help.

But maybe this is just another example of a poorly worded section of the wiki that keeps well meaning scripters like me away.  Maybe that's something that can be worded better?  Even if I get access, I should probably leave the instructions on how to get edit access up to the Lindens to fix.  This language just strikes me as careless, and probably outdated.

I'll send an email to letmein@lindenlab.com, to request access, like the wiki instructs me to do.  It will be interesting to see if I have enough 'cred' or not, LOL.  Then, if I get access, I'll try to clear up this lockmeister confusion.  It sounds like the documentation needs some attention from a scripter.  If I got the 'cred' I'll message @Lillani Lowell for input to the edits I make.  If I don't got the cred, then LL will have to find somebody else willing to work for free.

4 minutes ago, Bubblesort Triskaidekaphobia said:

You make it sounds easy, but I'm skeptical.  Here's a direct quote from the Editing Guidelines page, under the How Can I Contribute heading:

I took a quick look at this, myself, and the process didn't look easy to me-- it looked non-existent.

11 minutes ago, Lillani Lowell said:

I took a quick look at this, myself, and the process didn't look easy to me

The process is extremely simple. You're the scripter responsible for being sure that information about LockGuard is accurate and up to date.  You don't want some staff person in LL or a scripter who knows relatively little about LockGuard -- like me -- messing with the page. As Wulfie said:

2 hours ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

And the person to be doing the edit of that particular page is the person who knows most about it.

5 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

The process is extremely simple. You're the scripter responsible for being sure that information about LockGuard is accurate and up to date.  You don't want some staff person in LL or a scripter who knows relatively little about LockGuard -- like me -- messing with the page. As Wulfie said:

And the person to be doing the edit of that particular page is the person who knows most about it.

I didn't create the page, so no, I'm not responsible to make sure that information is accurate and up to date.

So, I'm telling people where the accurate information is.

3 hours ago, Lillani Lowell said:

So, I'm telling people where the accurate information is.

I'm skimming a bit and didn't see it in your OP. Besides the market place, where is the up-to-date specification for the lockguard V3 protocol?

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Quistess Alpha said:

I'm skimming a bit and didn't see it in your OP. Besides the market place, where is the up-to-date specification for the lockguard V3 protocol?

There is no place besides the marketplace-- it is the only place I update or maintain. 

My time is pretty limited, so one place is best place for me.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Lillani Lowell said:

I took a quick look at this, myself, and the process didn't look easy to me-- it looked non-existent.

I just got a reply from them.  They granted me access, and I did a quick test edit on my user page just now to confirm it.  It took them less than a day from sending my request to getting access.  I emailed at 6PM, they got back to me the next day at 9AM.  So they are more responsive than I expected!  You might consider emailing them to get access, and documenting your stuff on the wiki yourself, just because more people will find it there than here, and replying to comments here is probably more annoying than a wiki talk page with only a handful of wiki editors.

I don't mind updating the lockguard wiki docs for you at all!  Just, you know... it will probably take me a week to get up to speed on lockguard scripting, and then I will be checking with you about if I edited the docs correctly, and then edit any mistakes (I'm going to make mistakes)... and telling me what to fix that takes up your time, too.  Either way, I really don't mind helping out!  I just want you to know about your options.

Again, the email address to use to get access is letmein@lindenlab.com