I made a TV for YouTube and I'm trying to make the media shared

Dazzer01

I made a simple TV just for using YouTube and it all works great, but when someone else (or my alt in a second instance of Firestorm) watches the TV, they've just got independent access to the TV and therefore can't see or hear what I'm playing.

This has probably been asked many many times before but I wasn't sure exactly what to search for and I'm a complete scripting novice.

I found a shared media (kiosk mode) script on the marketplace and I've added it to the contents of my TV object. I've edited it accordingly and this is what I have now:

string URLlink = "https://www.youtube.com";

default{state_entry(){llSetPrimMediaParams(0,[PRIM_MEDIA_AUTO_PLAY,TRUE,PRIM_MEDIA_CURRENT_URL,URLlink,PRIM_MEDIA_HOME_URL,URLlink,PRIM_MEDIA_PERMS_INTERACT,PRIM_MEDIA_PERM_ANYONE,PRIM_MEDIA_PERMS_CONTROL,PRIM_MEDIA_PERM_ANYONE,PRIM_MEDIA_HEIGHT_PIXELS,1152,PRIM_MEDIA_WIDTH_PIXELS,2048,PRIM_MEDIA_CONTROLS,1]);}}

This script is running in my TV object but nothing different is happening to before. After editing the script it said it was successfully compiled when I saved it and the little box, top-right of the script window was green. Can someone please tell me what part of the script I need to change?

Thanks. :)

Darren

Edit: I've just changed the 0 in the script to a 1 after where it says llSetPrimMediaParams and that seems to have activated the script, because now the address bar has been removed like it's supposed to, just leaving the browser controls, but unfortunately apart from that it still isn't shared media.

Edited by Dazzer01
An update.

tl;dr is you can't synchronize viewing of a youtube video unless you either rip the video to a raw video file, or use one of several mildly expensive TVs in SL that already exist, and probably forward the video to an external server for you.

• Thanks 2

Posted (edited)

Thanks Tessa for the info. I'll look into it now. :)

Edit: I looked at the TVs suggested and others on the MP, but it seems none of them do what I wanted, at least not properly. What a shame. :( I remember back in the day as it were, about 10-15 years ago when this was easy to do. I clearly recall watching YT on TV, when me and my partner at the time were both controlling it and the media was completely shared, albeit with a slight delay between us maybe. I've no idea why this feature has been removed in SL and what the problem is in having it available.

Edited by Dazzer01
An update.

7 hours ago, Dazzer01 said:

Thanks Tessa for the info. I'll look into it now. :)

Edit: I looked at the TVs suggested and others on the MP, but it seems none of them do what I wanted, at least not properly. What a shame. :( I remember back in the day as it were, about 10-15 years ago when this was easy to do. I clearly recall watching YT on TV, when me and my partner at the time were both controlling it and the media was completely shared, albeit with a slight delay between us maybe. I've no idea why this feature has been removed in SL and what the problem is in having it available.

The only thing that's changed since is that visiting other pages of the same domain no longer syncs the URL between viewers.

Eg. If you go to Wikipedia frontpage, all viewers go to that URL (independently, using separate connections). If you then go to a specific Wikipedia page, other viewers will stay on the frontpage.

In other words - SL media has never been fully synced - people have always seen different ads and been able to pause/skip videos without affecting other viewers. This hasn't changed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

The only thing that's changed since is that visiting other pages of the same domain no longer syncs the URL between viewers.

I wasn't in SL at the time, but I vaguely remember back when youtube was young, it was a lot easier to have them serve you a raw video file if you asked nicely, which would have made it a lot easier for a SL script to add a front-end which would make it appear a bit more synced than it actually was. Now, basically only places specializing in bad things that start with the letter 'p' (p*** and p*****) serve raw video files that aren't spliced into small segments for easy quality switching, and/or walled behind some layers of DRM.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sandi Mexicola said:

what about if you own a parcel, and you set the parcel media, either manually or with a script?

The problem is what the service is willing to stream, not so much how nicely the script asks for it. That's why the easy but expensive solution for syncing is to take a single feed from the service and multiplex it out as a live stream to as many viewers as want to be in sync.

For parcel media, the PARCEL_MEDIA_COMMAND_AGENT and PARCEL_MEDIA_COMMAND_TIME parameters are relevant here, but only for those rare services that expose compliant streams. But even before shared media, and even accessing video files, what you'd actually get would vary from file type to file type and even across different viewer OSs.

One can append a time code to YouTube video URIs but that service is wildly variable about when it will deign to stream what's requested.

Edited by Qie Niangao
(slightly less confusing)
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, sandi Mexicola said:

parcel media

The last time I tested parcel media, I never got sound, just the video (though, I was able to get said video to spawn on a few hundred particles at once, but it didn't work as a projector light image.)

Edited by Quistess Alpha
  • Like 1